Tikka T3x in 243?

hunt0168

Considering the purchase of a Tikka in 243 for a dedicated coyote rifle. I’m leaning towards the “lite” models. It looks like all current models have 1:8 twist barrels for the 243 but browsing online I see there are also 1:10 twists out there. I have no intention of using this as a deer rifle and will probably stick on the lighter end of projectiles. If you were in my shoes how would your preferences be to spec a Tikka T3x for coyotes? Barrel length, twist, finish etc. And what 243 factory loads have proven themselves for you guys on coyotes?

I’ve been running a Browning X-Bolt in 204 Ruger for a bunch of years now as a calling rifle. I chose this round because here in NY there’s ridiculous rules about what calibers you can use in certain areas during certain seasons for deer. Sub 22 caliber can be used everywhere at anytime so for simplicity’s sake I just ran with it. I like it. It has served me well. Now that fur prices have tanked I’m less concerned with fur damage and more concerned with planting them where they stand. And I haven’t bought a new rifle in a few years!

I appreciate any input. Give me the good, the bad and in-betweens!

i shoot a an Ar 243 with 1;9 twist and 20' barrel, i shoot surpressed so thats why i choose the length. I also have a tikka t3 in 243 1;10, I cut it down to 20" and threaded it for suppressor. I shoot 65gr hand loads from my Ar and 70 gr for my tikka. both shoot sub moa. Im sure they would shoot lil lighter and lil heavier bullet also.

I’ve been researching this exact same topic, and really wanted a Tikka but couldn’t find a 10 twist model anywhere, or even online to order one…I did happen to find a near mint Remington 700 243 Mountain Rifle at my local shop that was traded in by original owner. Barrel date code puts it at a 1990 manufacture year…def has a 1:10 twist…idk if you are dead set on a Tikka but an older Remington may be a good option for you. My problem now is the stock is too nice and too rare to be drilling it for an ARCA rail so in need of a stock now.

idk if you are dead set on a Tikka but an older Remington may be a good option for you.
Thanks for the reply. Not Dead Set, but I have heard a lot of good about the Tikka rifles and few negatives. I’m not dead set on 1:10 twist either. I was hoping to get some opinions about the twist rates for my intended purpose of a dedicated coyote rifle with lighter to mid weight projectiles though? Would the 1:8 have a detrimental effect on the lighter bullets? Would it be better to try to find a slower 1:10 twist for my purposes? Or am I overthinking this? If someone shoots these twists, either one, what bullets are performing?

You are overthinking it. An 8 twist will handle the lighter bullets just fine from a 243. Plus if you ever decide to shoot the heavies, it won't be a problem either. I'd personally shoot a 70g NBT out of it, but that's just me.

Tikka makes a fine factory rifle also. You won't be disappointed.

I use a .243 savage model 10 with an aftermarket 1/8 twist. Been shooting it for the last few years.
It shoots 58 vmax's, 75's and 87's all very well.
My favorite out of the 3 is the 75, it hammers coyotes....not fur friendly.
Running the velocity around 3350, 24" barrel.

Very happy with the twist rate. When I replace the barrel it will be another 1/8.
Hope this helps. 👍

20221227_081300.jpg

Here is a picture of it.

I use a .243 savage model 10 with an aftermarket 1/8 twist. Been shooting it for the last few years.
It shoots 58 vmax's, 75's and 87's all very well.
My favorite out of the 3 is the 75, it hammers coyotes....not fur friendly.
Running the velocity around 3350, 24" barrel.

Very happy with the twist rate. When I replace the barrel it will be another 1/8.
Hope this helps. 👍
Thanks for the information. Sure seems like an 8 twist isn’t a bad thing in the 243.

I’m leaning towards something in one of the “Lite” models and 22.5” barrel. I’m still trying to find a Tikka in stock somewhere near me to get my hands on one. Anybody have an opinion of the synthetic stocks on these things? Are they of decent quality and stiff? I think I read they are factory bedded.

I have 2 Tikka Roughtechs in 243. One is a 10 twist and the other is an 8 twist. A bit heavier barrel than the Lite but fluted as well. Both new but the 10 twist is the older model from a couple years ago, the 8 is what they all are now I think.
Dedicated coyote rifles. Great shooters, threaded muzzles, good triggers in em already, lots of aftermarket goodies available.
Tikkas have grown on me as a factory rifle. They are really good setups.
Mark
Edit to say…the Roughtech stocks are pretty stiff compared to the tupperware Remingtons etc. I have a Manners EHT on one and a Pure Precision carbon on order for the other. But factory stocks are pretty good.
Double edit…Hornady 75s are what I shoot in them and they are fast and also destroy coyotes.

Last edited:
To add… as someone said above the 8 twist is fine for the 75s and 87s etc. Very accurate…probly a bit less velocity out of the 8 twist vs the 10, but the coyotes dont know it. I am not a long range shooter just an old school caller that shoots things at 300 yards max mostly…just for reference.
Also with Tikkas you can swap a new barrel onto the action yourself…one of the very few factory actions that have the tight tolorance that allows that… without going the barrel nut route.
Mark

I have a couple of 1/10 twist bolt guns. They shoot everything stupid accurate from 55 to 100. I have a one in nine Twist Ar10 amd a 1/8 twist aR10. The 8 twist will shoot .3” groups with 60 grain Seirra HPs. The 9 twist likes the 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips and shoots them a hair tighter than my 8 twist does with the 60’s. I didn’t buy an AR 10 for the longest time because I wanted a one in 10 twist to shoot the lightest for caliber bullets. Guess you don’t really know to try. The 10 twist was designed to shoot 55 grain to 100 grain bullets. The faster twists are meant for heavier bullets. If you want to shoot under 70 grainers and have the option to buy a 1/10 that’s what I would get. The old 6mm Remington factory barrels even had a slower twist for the lighter stuff. After doing all my load testing in all the different twist barrels above I don’t get too hung up on twist anymore. I shoot 55 grain NBTs, 60 grain Seirra HPs, and 70 grain NBTs in all of them. Just about all the Remington 600’s and 700’s out there in 243 winchester run a 1/10 twist.

Thanks for the information. Sure seems like an 8 twist isn’t a bad thing in the 243.

I’m leaning towards something in one of the “Lite” models and 22.5” barrel. I’m still trying to find a Tikka in stock somewhere near me to get my hands on one. Anybody have an opinion of the synthetic stocks on these things? Are they of decent quality and stiff? I think I read they are factory bedded.
I do have a Tikka chambered in .308 as well, 22" barrel. Very nice action and is a good shooter.
The rifle is light weight, the stock is ok. Better than your cheaper savage models (Axis).
For the money I wish it had adjustable comb and length of pull.

Spend a little bit of time on YouTube. I am sure that you would be able to find at least a few people who have tested the rifle that you want with different ammo. Look up this guy WHO-TEE-WHO | Shooting Sports Enthusiast. He has tons of videos testing various rifles/ammo. He actually just done a Howa 1500 .243.

Another good one is "ozziereviews". He's tested a few different Tikka's.

Have you looked at the 6mm CM? Basically a "modern" .243 that will hold the newer higher BC bullets?

Also, keep in mind that the T3x lite models aren't threaded. I know a few people who shoot the CTR model and really like them.

Last edited:

Just sand out the barrel channel a bit more on the factory stock to give a better free float. I found if I really load a bipod the stock moved a bit more than I liked. I used a deep socket and 40 grit sand paper up and down the barrel channel. I even took a Dremel to the two bridge areas below the barrel channel (that probably wasn’t necessary but it didn’t effect accuracy at all). Since opening it up I haven’t had a problem.

I also ordered a $8 dollar after market trigger spring to lighten up the trigger, although it really didn’t need it. I prefer the aftermarket “pistol” grip they sell for the stock as well.

Other than those mods the T3 lite has been a great gun for the price point. I have the 22 inch barrel in 22-250 and it usually wears a 9 inch suppressor.

IMG_7026.jpeg

Spend a little bit of time on YouTube. I am sure that you would be able to find at least a few people who have tested the rifle that you want with different ammo. Look up this guy WHO-TEE-WHO | Shooting Sports Enthusiast. He has tons of videos testing various rifles/ammo. He actually just done a Howa 1500 .243.

Another good one is "ozziereviews". He's tested a few different Tikka's.

Have you looked at the 6mm CM? Basically a "modern" .243 that will hold the newer higher BC bullets?

Also, keep in mind that the T3x lite models aren't threaded. I know a few people who shoot the CTR model and really like them.
Thanks for the info. I’ve seen a bunch of Who-Tee-Who’s vids. Not on the 243 tho. I’ll hafta check out the Ozziereviews

Threaded doesn’t do me much good here in NY. Can’t run supressed. Heard nothing but good about the 6 creedmoor but again, I don’t see any big benefit here in NY in the areas I hunt. 243 ammo availability seems better around here as well. I’m not a reloader so I’ll find what works and stock up. The real heavy hitters around here don’t usually take more than 40 coyotes during our season. I would be at about 22 or 23 for the season to date if I didn’t have a brain meltdown with my shooting this year! I really struggled for a bit to get back on track. It’s honestly why I’m getting a 243. I’ve had several unrecovered coyotes with the 204 that I know If I had a bit more snot they would’ve crumpled. I’m not blaming the caliber. It’s all me but I really feel terrible when I get runners.

Thanks for the info. I’ve seen a bunch of Who-Tee-Who’s vids. Not on the 243 tho. I’ll hafta check out the Ozziereviews

Threaded doesn’t do me much good here in NY. Can’t run supressed. Heard nothing but good about the 6 creedmoor but again, I don’t see any big benefit here in NY in the areas I hunt. 243 ammo availability seems better around here as well. I’m not a reloader so I’ll find what works and stock up. The real heavy hitters around here don’t usually take more than 40 coyotes during our season. I would be at about 22 or 23 for the season to date if I didn’t have a brain meltdown with my shooting this year! I really struggled for a bit to get back on track. It’s honestly why I’m getting a 243. I’ve had several unrecovered coyotes with the 204 that I know If I had a bit more snot they would’ve crumpled. I’m not blaming the caliber. It’s all me but I really feel terrible when I get runners.

Didn't know that about NY. I'm in the same boat with the 6mm CM, that's why I just went with the 6mm ARC.

The CZ 600 Alpha comes with a 1:10 in .243. 20" medium weight barrel. I have two in different calibers and love them.

Well guys, I ended up getting a T3x Superlite Stainless 243 with an 8 twist fluted 22.4” barrel (non threaded). Plain black synthetic stock. Haven’t shot it yet but going to try to get it out before the weekend and run some bullets down the tube.

It’s really light weight. The action is nice and smooth but feels long for the caliber. Stock feels decent but not mind blowing. To be expected at the price point I suppose. It may be great or good enough but only time and use will tell me that. Trigger is great. Think I’m going to like it.

My biggest concern is the 3 round magazine/clip. It seems super flimsy and cheap. It’s the 3 round flush version. Has anyone had any feeding problems with theirs? Is anybody making a better quality aftermarket version? I want to order a second one to have as a backup and fast reloading option. I don’t want to buy a factory OEM version if there’s a better or more reliable version out there. It may be fine and super reliable? I’m just digging for input at this point.

I've never had any issues with my T3x Lite, 223.

To me, the most impressive thing about my Tikka is the trigger. The action is super smooth. The accuracy is about the same as most of my other rifles.

...you can still run a linear comp on your bolt rifle in NY....thats what I do.

Back