Monocular Thermal with LRF

Should have an iray scanner/lrf in hand and in field in 2 weeks. Will report....but I've used their 640 scanners and other scopes with lrf and have found them to be very good.

I just got the IRay Finder on Thursday. It has a very good image and the LRF works great !

It’s comes with two batteries and the instruction booklet that came with it says 3+ hr per battery……that’s probably pretty accurate based off my experience Thursday night.

I just got the IRay Finder on Thursday. It has a very good image and the LRF works great !

It’s comes with two batteries and the instruction booklet that came with it says 3+ hr per battery……that’s probably pretty accurate based off my experience Thursday night.
So you like this new scanner? Batteries only good for 3 hours? Rangefinder works well?

Tell us alittle more about the Iray Finder?

Hows is compare to other 640 scanners?

One of my hunting buddies has a 640 n-vision Nox 35. It’s the only 640 scanner I have had a chance to use.

To me the finder looks as good or better than the nox 35…..and my personal scope is a Halo XRF.

The finder is very easy to use and LRF reads the same as my Halo and a Pulsar Axion XQ35 of a friends.

The yardage display is at the bottom of the finder screen and shows up great…..unlike my buddy’s Axion which is very difficult to see the yardage numbers.

After a little over 3 hours the battery was very low and I plugged it into my truck usb when we were driving for about 30 minutes between stands. It charged back up to a little above 50%.

After running it for another 1.5-2 hr it was in the red again and l swapped batteries. We had a long night and hunted 6 stands. I put it in standby while driving between stands.

I ran it on white hot and at the lowest brightness setting and the second level up on the CE. I like white for scanning and picking up movement but usually shoot my Halo on black….it makes for a better video.

The image is very good ! Much better than my Cabin19’s and two of my buddies that have Axion scanners.

I almost got a Telos but I’m very happy l didn’t.

I’ll take the money saved and put it towards setting up my spare rifle with a new thermal.

If anyone has more questions just pm me and we can talk on the phone if you like.

Ok, maybe a stupid question, but do y’all need a rangefinder for hunting unknown properties?
I’ve learned distance judging in a thermal is a no go. I’ve made a few shots that I didn’t realize were as far as they were until walking to retrieve the coyotes/hogs.
I’m NOT a long range shooter by any means and prefer everything under 100 but have hunted some 200yd areas and taken the shot.
I only recently went to a property with some pretty decent long fields to call in, but all coyotes were shot from 15-80yds.
Don’t “think” I’ve had a need for a range finder yet. Most of the areas I know about how long of a shot it’ll be.

Concerning .. New release ( iRay FH35RV2 ) Scan/LRF
I posted this up on another site yesterday, but thought I should post it here also for those that just purchased . Also iRay distributor/service/warranty in TX, said they are getting a software update put together for fixing .
( myself ) , I am cutting iRay some slack on this, as This ALWAYS happens with 1st releases on just about all thermals, and program glitches popup. So for now I giving them a little time to resolve the issue.
--------
All Rangefinders that I have ever used in my life . You the user have total control of when you release your IR diode burst with the push of the button . This IS Not so with this new release.
Both, mode selections on this Scanner ( Manual Range, and Scan Range ) . Are the same with non-stop bursting IR .
When using both mode selected. The inboard LRF is bursts a Non-Stop blinking IR pulse of SCAN. There is no difference between . Plus it stays on total time bursting IR in both mode as long as the ranging Ret. is present in the view screen .
So..If your on-screen view shows the LRF ranging Ret. and LRF turned-ON . It's constantly pulsing/blinking the diode IR burst of the SCAN mode . Even though you are not pushing the Range Control Button . Range Button is Mute with the control of releasing a diode ranging IR burst
Also ( not Sure ? ) if even relevant ? the proximity sensor that is there on your Ocular end is not involved with the on-off function of the continual diode scan bursting .

So.. If you are Not Ranging an object when scanning, turn OFF the LRF, because you are just burning up your battery power, and putting hours on your IR diode. While also just being a flashing Annoying Friend or Foe beacon to all your buddies around you that are running both with NV and Thermal .
-
Other than this issue. I got ZERO bitches about the new iRay Scan Monoc/LRF . I have had it out hunting with and I like it . I getting close to about 3 hr. on each Battery. Image is great . easy finger controls, and easy access in layered menu .

Ok, maybe a stupid question, but do y’all need a rangefinder for hunting unknown properties?
I’ve learned distance judging in a thermal is a no go. I’ve made a few shots that I didn’t realize were as far as they were until walking to retrieve the coyotes/hogs.
I’m NOT a long range shooter by any means and prefer everything under 100 but have hunted some 200yd areas and taken the shot.
I only recently went to a property with some pretty decent long fields to call in, but all coyotes were shot from 15-80yds.
Don’t “think” I’ve had a need for a range finder yet. Most of the areas I know about how long of a shot it’ll be.

I have the same thoughts. I guess the guys out West can benefit from a $4,000 scanner where here in the SE they just aren't needed.

Back