MDT Field Stock........

William Suter

....for the Ruger American. I received mine today. (Quick shipment from Optics Planet) Thought I would give a little review.

Pros- a bazillion times better than the flimsy stock that comes on the Ruger. I can get very little flex in the fore-end. Very solid. Recoil lugs are in the stock and you have to work to get your action settled in. Its more force in than drop in. Its tight. Fit and finish is very nice IMO for a $300 stock. Comes with front and rear sling swivels and also M-locs on the fore-end. It came with three spacers for length of pull and an adjustable cheek riser.

Cons-Not really a "con" but its heavier than the factory stock at 3 1/2 pounds but you have to consider its a solid built stock. The mag release has to be installed by you. I spent about 15 minute installing it then realized you have to remove it to get to the rear action screw. I didn't care for that but on a plus, its much easier to install the mag release the second time. Not really a con but you do have to work to get the action into the recoil lugs. They fit TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!!! Lastly and its not MDT's fault. I didn't read the small print, but your factory mags don't fit. The stock uses AICS mags so I'm going to have to order one or two.

Just to wrap it up, the MDT Field Stock is a great replacement stock for someone (me) not wanting to spend a lot of money on a better quality stock.

Last edited:
good to hear your review, thanks! I'm not a fan of the Gen 2 stock either for the reasons you've mentioned. When I bought this rifle I wanted something light weight and it filled the bill. It'll be interesting to hear if this helps with accuracy and if you can get her to shoot SUB For my liking there is way to much travel in the trigger as well, kinda fond of Timney.

Eventually I plan on a better trigger. I replaced the spring and lowered the weight to 2 1/2 pounds. Not the greatest but much better than it was. Timney doesn't make a trigger for the Gen II yet but I read they are working on it. I also read (don't shoot the messenger) that a Gen1 trigger will work, you just loose the 3 position safety. Which to me would be no big deal seeing how the rifle uses a mag. Pull the mag and eject the round. I'm in no hurry so I'll wait to see what Timney comes up with. Maybe I'll check with Rifle Basix too.

....for the Ruger American. I received mine today. (Quick shipment from Optics Planet) Thought I would give a little review.

Pros- a bazillion times better than the flimsy stock that comes on the Ruger. I can get very little flex in the fore-end. Very solid. Recoil lugs are in the stock and you have to work to get your action settled in. Its more force in than drop in. Its tight. Fit and finish is very nice IMO for a $300 stock. Comes with front and rear sling swivels and also M-locs on the fore-end. It came with three spacers for length of pull and an adjustable cheek riser.

Cons-Not really a "con" but its heavier than the factory stock at 3 1/2 pounds but you have to consider its a solid built stock. The mag release has to be installed by you. I spent about 15 minute installing it then realized you have to remove it to get to the rear action screw. I didn't care for that but on a plus, its much easier to install the mag release the second time. Not really a con but you do have to work to get the action into the recoil lugs. They fit TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!!! Lastly and its not MDT's fault. I didn't read the small print, but your factory mags don't fit. The stock uses AICS mags so I'm going to have to order one or two.

Just to wrap it up, the MDT Field Stock is a great replacement stock for someone (me) not wanting to spend a lot of money on a better quality stock.

If you are just starting to buy AI style mags I recommend buying them without a binder plate, it allows you to load MUCH longer OAL. With factory rifles and large freebore it really helps you to load long.

They are the same price as well as the ones with plates also.

Well, an update. The MDT is going back. I hit 6 different shops today looking for a mag with no luck. Looked several places for mags online...no luck. Called Optics Planet and no luck there either so I got an RMA and will be sending it back. I didn't want a laminate stock due to the extra weight but may order something from Boyds or just keep shopping until I find an alternative. Me and the little Ruger aren't getting along very well just yet. I keep getting a taste of feathers in my mouth.

Well, an update. The MDT is going back. I hit 6 different shops today looking for a mag with no luck. Looked several places for mags online...no luck. Called Optics Planet and no luck there either so I got an RMA and will be sending it back. I didn't want a laminate stock due to the extra weight but may order something from Boyds or just keep shopping until I find an alternative. Me and the little Ruger aren't getting along very well just yet. I keep getting a taste of feathers in my mouth.
this is what I used for my Ultradyne chassis . AICS 10 Round Magazine 223 Rem, 204. Bolt Action Only | eBay

I got one of these Accurate-Mag AICS 223 5-rounders on sale last week.
Screenshot_20240419_144113_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back