Lone female tonight

DoubleUp

Well, I got her, but it wasn't pretty. Started out by dropping my rifle hard as I was loading up my truck. I never like to go hunting after something like that without checking zero. I was pressed for time and needed to be home early, so I didn't have time to set up my target. So, I'm already apprehensive but decide to try it and hope for the best. It took longer than I hoped, but finally had one coming on a string. I tried to let her get as close as possible hoping to minimize any POI from the drop. I hit her on the first shot, but it was not lethal. I ended up having to shoot at her 5 more times to put her down humanely. Last shot took the top of her head off. I haven't even looked at the video yet, and not sure I'll be able to post it. She was a fully mature female and pretty heavy. It might have been all the lead she had in her, sad to say. Anyway, here is a picture trying to minimize the visible damage. You can bet I'll be checking my zero tomorrow. I'll see if I can edit enough of the video to make it palatable.
#28.jpg

Last edited:
Good job on the coyote Owen.
I'm with you, hate to drop my rifle. The thermal is just too expensive to let it hit the ground. I dropped mine one time when it fell out when I opened the truck door. I did not do any damage but it was very unnerving to say the least.

Great recovery, Owen. I'm sure you have verified on video, but looks like the POI was 8-10" low and windage was not affected by the drop. I don't know how you could figure all that out real time to be able to recover and put him out of his misery. I'd bet you take about 8-9 minutes up on the scope at the range today.

Man, I wish I had gotten into thermal, but back when I was still able to get out, IDK if these were even available and based on some special forces friends who were knowledgeable on night vision, it would have taken a minimum investment of around 10 grand to do what I wanted......which was not even a remote possibility.

Again, great recovery, and thanks for sharing. Lot to learn from your, and others videos.

Regards,
Clarence

Thanks for commenting guys. It is blowing at least 20 steady out of the North here today and spitting rain as well. I did shoot two shots. I didn't see anything that would be an obvious red flag on POI. Of course, I need to shoot in calmer winds. Clarence, I thought the same thing when I looked at the video last night, because it appeared my first shot blew her right foot off, but if you notice on the Phenom photo, you can see where the first bullet struck her in the right shoulder about where it appears the shot broke in the scope view. Evidently, one of the follow up "panic" shots took her foot off. I'll let you guys know for sure when the wind dies down, but right now I'm chalking it up to operator error caused by being psyched out about dropping a $4,500 scope hard from waist high. At least it wasn't on concrete or asphalt. I was doing some sorry shooting that's for sure, especially at 50 yds.

on the Phenom photo, you can see where the first bullet struck her in the right shoulder about where it appears the shot broke in the scope view.
I overlooked that, but your hold was solid on first shot, then rifle recoiled. Must have been your 2nd shot (which I don't think was in the slo-mo) to the foot, because when she hit the ground after first shot (in the slo-mo) her RF foot was flopping before it hit the ground. All things considered now, I'd bet she would'a dropped without your follow up shots.

Gotta love these videos!

Since you you still got video, and showed it, we will let the "whoops" go. But do keep those to a minimum please. We need steady entertainment without interruptions.

Last edited:
Back