How many of you "Don't" own an AR?

I love them.

Easy to tune for accuracy beyond what you can even shoot in field conditions.

For Coons in trees at night, the lightweight flash light is always there, and always ready.

Had it not been for semi auto capabilities i would have missed some running Coyotes and Raccoons all together.

I have 10 lifetimes of high quality LC NATO and Winchester 1 time fired range pick up brass from the police range.

It will hard for me to ever let go of 223 Rem because of economy.

200 yards is an ELR shot for me where i live though.

If i was shooting in the windy flats, i would choose a 22 Creed or something like that.

I was raised and mentored by old-school rifleman and was programed to be one. Once I enlisted in 1990 I was exposed to the M16 and M4s It wasn't long after and accurized ARs came along like the MK12s, M110s and other DMR rifles. When those rifles hit the battlefield, mostly in Afghanistan and Iraq post 9/11 it solidified their lethality on the battlefield and their effectiveness as sporting rifles. If there is a multiple target environment there is NOTHING that will compare to an accurate AR. I don't enjoy carrying them, I don't enjoy how they look but I put my feelings aside and pull one out of the truck when it's time to go coyote hunting.

I have a couple and really like them, but they were acquired, or purpose built around the .223/5.56 cartridge for my wants and needs. To me, the advantage of the AR is that whatever chambering the platform is built around can be better adapted through its modular construction to the shooter, situation and environment. ARs augment my efforts, while not replacing any favored equipment.

In my case for example:

Competition: From 1984 to mid-2000s I shot my much-loved DCM M1 ‘Garand’ in the service rifle category – 200-, 300- and 600-yard ranges. From 1985 on, as an active-duty service member, I qualified with the M16A1, A2 and M4 (along with the 1911 and M9) throughout my career but shot my M1 in local and regional matches. Beginning in 2001, I started competing individually in the National Matches at Camp Perry where the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) provides range instruction to new and interested shooters. One year, one of the instructors there who had deployed with me previously asked what I was shooting. “My Garand” I replied wherein he suggested I try his AMU-issued A2-style AR. My score increased by 15 points that first time out and I acquired my first match-grade AR soon thereafter. I still shoot my M1 in the CMP games and admit that if I want to just have fun, I shoot my Garand. But, if I want to win, I reach for my AR. Loads: 52, 77 and 80 grain match loads through a 1:7 twist.

Varmint: Growing up in Pennsylvania allowed me to sit with my dad as he shot summertime groundhogs prone with his .222 Sako. Watching him intently as he lay prone with a sling taught me to better estimate distance, wind and mirage. Dad and his .222 are long gone but those same principles also apply to my 20” White Oak Armaments (WOA) Varmint Upper (.223) on an A2 lower while laying prone looking over an Oklahoma Prairie Dog village. Load: 55 grains through its 1:8 barrel.

Predator: Another WOA Upper, this time with a 16” barrel on a M4 style lower topped with a 1-5x scope provides a compact and lightweight tool for my run-and-gun style I employ while in the local river bottom thickets – when I’m not using a shotgun. Load: 55 or 62 grains through its 1:8 barrel. I sometimes use a .300 Blackout CMMG upper for deer and hogs using this same lower.

Fun: I’ve had a new H&R ‘Slick side’ (vintage M16 knockoff) with a 1:12 twist for several months and cannot remember a more enjoyable rifle to take to the range. With its lightweight barrel, A1 style sights, and triangular handguards, it reminds me why these rifles were so pleasant to handle since one cannot attach all the ash and trash add-ons so prevalent today.

I won’t say that the AR is my, or anyone’s perfect hunting or match rifle, but I’ll likely have one or two in my gun safe until convinced otherwise.

AR's are great if 1moa is sufficient, it's not too hard to build one and shoot one to that standard. To be consistently less than that takes more $$$ and a dedicated build that sorta takes away from the idea of a light compact semi-auto rifle: beefier stock/barrel/optic etc. ARs have their place, I love my 6DTI for coyotes.

But I prefer bolt actions for accuracy, fit, comfort, balance, etc. Targets, ground squirrels, long range, give me a bolt action any day.

I'm a big fan of the AR-15 and AR-10 platform. I have 50+ AR15/AR10's in various configurations (barrels ranging from 7.5" to 24") and chamberings including:

.223/5.56
TAC 30/.30 HRT
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SPC
6mm ARC
6mmx45mm
.50 Beouwulf
.458 SOCOM
.308 Win

I see the AR15 as a very modular platform that can be configured to meet the demands of just about any task.

At one time I built duty rifles for fellow LEO's but now cheap parts are common in the market I stopped doing that for liability reasons as guys were always trying to cut corners. Because of this I ended up with a lot of free parts, which grew into another rifle lol.

With quality components and ammo, MOA performance is easily achieved. With the right barrel and handguard, a handy light-weight hunting rifle is also easily achieved.

This is an example of how accurate the AR15 can be... this is a 10-shot group at 100 yards...

The rifle...

The Big Bore rifles can be accurate as well, this is a .458 SOCOM at 50 yards...

I don't own one because I can't stand the look of them. But if war were to come, I'd see about getting one in the cartridge my enemy was using. first off, that way I have access to free ammo off dead enemy's I've shot. Then even with semi auto I'm quite certain I can crank off a bunch of rounds faster than with my bolt actions should the need arise! I imagine there could be a place for full auto in a combat situation but you can probably get off more accurate rounds firing semi auto. In hunting after firing a shot I move my free free hand to catch the mty case coming out, hate my mty's falling on the ground. but at my age in case of conflict I's probably be better off with a bolt action and practice shooting at the enemy from farther off. Getting away from them in closer could be a problem for me. First off I'm not 25 anymore, I'm coming 78 and with my replaced knee on the left and wearing out one on the right, running is not something that works well for me anymore! Next I simply don't like the looks of an AR type rifle for sporting use. In my opinion a sporting rifle has a wood stock and blued metal so the personal side is there. I'm not one that refers to AR type rifles as assualt weapons but I do see their advantage in combat situation's! The AR rifle's used by civilians today are semi auto only. The AR type used by the military have what is called a disconnector lever that turns the semi auto rifle into full auto. They seem to me to become assualt weapons, not semi auto's. Strange thing during WW1, the assualt weapon was the 1903 Springfield. I think assult weapon should be determined by it it's intended for civilian or military use. Not sure of any use for an true assualt weapon as a sporting arm. And, the difference between say a mod 100 in 308 and a so called assualt rifle sorta boils down to the mod 100 has a wood stock and no selector lever! So I would not have one of the AR's for little other reason than they to me are ugly! Of course if I was a young man and on patrol to find the enemy, I'd prefer the M-16 or even the M-1 carbine.

I don't own one because I can't stand the look of them. But if war were to come, I'd see about getting one in the cartridge my enemy was using. first off, that way I have access to free ammo off dead enemy's I've shot. Then even with semi auto I'm quite certain I can crank off a bunch of rounds faster than with my bolt actions should the need arise! I imagine there could be a place for full auto in a combat situation but you can probably get off more accurate rounds firing semi auto. In hunting after firing a shot I move my free free hand to catch the mty case coming out, hate my mty's falling on the ground. but at my age in case of conflict I's probably be better off with a bolt action and practice shooting at the enemy from farther off. Getting away from them in closer could be a problem for me. First off I'm not 25 anymore, I'm coming 78 and with my replaced knee on the left and wearing out one on the right, running is not something that works well for me anymore! Next I simply don't like the looks of an AR type rifle for sporting use. In my opinion a sporting rifle has a wood stock and blued metal so the personal side is there. I'm not one that refers to AR type rifles as assualt weapons but I do see their advantage in combat situation's! The AR rifle's used by civilians today are semi auto only. The AR type used by the military have what is called a disconnector lever that turns the semi auto rifle into full auto. They seem to me to become assualt weapons, not semi auto's. Strange thing during WW1, the assualt weapon was the 1903 Springfield. I think assult weapon should be determined by it it's intended for civilian or military use. Not sure of any use for an true assualt weapon as a sporting arm. And, the difference between say a mod 100 in 308 and a so called assualt rifle sorta boils down to the mod 100 has a wood stock and no selector lever! So I would not have one of the AR's for little other reason than they to me are ugly! Of course if I was a young man and on patrol to find the enemy, I'd prefer the M-16 or even the M-1 carbine.
Is that you Woody?

First off... it's ASSAULT, not ASSUALT.

Second... I got a good laugh at:
But if war were to come, I'd see about getting one in the cartridge my enemy was using. first off, that way I have access to free ammo off dead enemy's I've shot.

Back