hornady new 22 arc - thoughts?

I like wildcats and even have a 22 Grendel. Seems like when it comes to SAAMI cartridges in factory offerings, the 22 ARC fits a nice niche.

When from the factory you can buy factory ammo load in 22 ARC that does compare to a 22-250 factory load, plus shoot the heavier BC, isn’t that something special?

It’s not a 22-250 but if there is overlap isn’t that a good thing?

On forums, where we handload and know how to do things like spin up a fast twist 22-250, it doesn’t seem like much. But, for the vast majority of shooters and hunters, Hornady has made some cool improvements.

Thank you for that info. Curious, how would one neck down from 6.5? I am not familiar with that process.

That being said, would purchasing Lapua brass, which is quite pricey in past experience, be a good idea when running through a gas gun? In my opinion, the 22 ARC is more of a gas gun cartridge. I hate it when I lose my 22-250 Lapua brass and that is a bolt gun.
For a gas gun, brass differences aren’t going to affect anything relevant for shooting, IMO. I am so happy to have 22 ARC brass from the factory without having to neck down.

Just another .224 caliber. Imo nothing different. The market imo is already flooded with .224's. Learned decades ago after buying every new caliber out there is they all shoot the same bullet and hand loading up and down will get them all to perform close to the same. I'd rather concentrate on shooting all the other .224's I have laying around that haven't been shot in years to decades that were all the newest and greatest calibers I was all excited about buying over the years.

Last edited:
(This was supposed to quote Hereinaz)
You can use a Redding or other manufacturers bushing die. I would do it in 2 steps, stepping down in smaller bushings

I use Lapua for my 6 ARC in an AR. I had both Lapua and Starline cases. I used the Starline for Grendel and the Lapua for ARC just to make it easier to separate them. It works good and doesn't beat the brass that bad.

(This was supposed to quote Hereinaz)
You can use a Redding or other manufacturers bushing die. I would do it in 2 steps, stepping down in smaller bushings

I use Lapua for my 6 ARC in an AR. I had both Lapua and Starline cases. I used the Starline for Grendel and the Lapua for ARC just to make it easier to separate them. It works good and doesn't beat the brass that bad.
Yeah. I have a 6.5 Grendel bushing die and a 22ppc seating die. I have the bushings to neck down.

I am just lazy, lol. I do also like the idea of buying loaded ammo too.

I love that company and the things they do.

I had my head buried deep in the sand until this spring.

I started following along on the podcast.

Next came my 6.5 PRC

i dunno why the video imbed feature isnt showing, so added a direct link to it instead of the imbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfTVBtNIt8I

new bullet lineup ELD-VT ... i wonder how much of that is like the ELD-X married to a vmax?

factory ammo offerings will include
62 gr ELD-VT - g1 = .382 - g7 =.191 - velocity = 3300 fps (24" barrel gas gun)
75gr ELD-M = 3075 fps (hornady black)
88 ELD-M = 2820 fps (hornady match)

these are gonna be the factory ammo offerings, with bolt gun data to follow with higher pressure ratings to be able to bump this up

now i got somethign i can do to use up some 75gr amax i've been sitting on for a bit now lol
I don't know where I stand on this. My position is a 16" ar 55 vmax or a 243 87 VMAX 24" barrel.
i dunno why the video imbed feature isnt showing, so added a direct link to it instead of the imbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfTVBtNIt8I

new bullet lineup ELD-VT ... i wonder how much of that is like the ELD-X married to a vmax?

factory ammo offerings will include
62 gr ELD-VT - g1 = .382 - g7 =.191 - velocity = 3300 fps (24" barrel gas gun)
75gr ELD-M = 3075 fps (hornady black)
88 ELD-M = 2820 fps (hornady match)

these are gonna be the factory ammo offerings, with bolt gun data to follow with higher pressure ratings to be able to bump this up

now i got somethign i can do to use up some 75gr amax i've been sitting on for a bit now lol
I like it. Fun to shoot with and does a number on yotes. 62 gr.

scary right? never know when you'll actually have to admit you like one of their products and ruin decades of talking sh!t about them.... lol

Oh there's lots of things I like about Hornady but that doesn't cloud my mind to be a complete fanboy and just take their (or anyones) marketing bullshit as gospel!! They marketed the creeds and the arc as if they are the greatest thing ever, and while they are good for specific things there's other options that are better at the same or other things.

If it makes you feel better I do have a 6.5CM, building a 6ARC for PRS gas gun, and have around 20k different Hornady bullets in my shop!

Yep, a lot has changed in 20 years. Such as Eld-M and Eld-X since they dropped the A-Max, SST, and Interbond from their line...over a stupid heat shield that doesn't even come into affect beyond 400 yards...from their own mouths. I've watched some podcasts.

Last edited:
Yep, a lot has changed in 20 years. Such as Eld-M and Eld-X since they dropped the A-Max, SST, and Interbond from their line...over a stupid heat shield that doesn't even come into affect beyond 400 yards...from their own mouths. I've watched some podcasts.
i dunno when the last time you checked, but the amax is still in and/or has been brought back into production - albeit in very limted offerings (.308 168gr, .510 750gr). even for the "discontinued" versions of the product line, the same bullets - other than the material change in the poly tip as you note - are still available. because if you've listedn to those podcasts and taken away more than a nugget of information to confirm your negative bias you'd understand that tip material is the *ONLY* difference in the ELD-M vs the traditional AMAX. they use the same jacket, core & profile.

regarding the SST lineup - going strong with 20+ bullets still available.

as for the interbond - that lineup didnt have squat to do with the new tips afaik. id speculate that it was a demise based purely on sales/usage and their production was shelved during the panic buy years so that the bullets shooters were actually using a majority of could be produced.

Oh there's lots of things I like about Hornady but that doesn't cloud my mind to be a complete fanboy and just take their (or anyones) marketing bullshit as gospel!! They marketed the creeds and the arc as if they are the greatest thing ever, and while they are good for specific things there's other options that are better at the same or other things.

If it makes you feel better I do have a 6.5CM, building a 6ARC for PRS gas gun, and have around 20k different Hornady bullets in my shop!
where in my comment did it say take anything as gospel?

i was verly clearly alluding to the fact that before you condemn a product line just because they are marketing a new product that you should probably try it out before you cry foul because manufacturer would dare advertise a new product offering.

EVERY company will market their product in the best available light.... seirously who would be dumb enough to launch something new and their product launch marketing be like

"well, its kind of mediocre, but we spent the money to design it, so we figured we'd throw it out there anyway"

let the product live and die on its actual merits - or lack of.

let the product live and die on its actual merits - or lack of.

Yep. But you have to admit that if enough people who are on these various boards start spouting hate about something it definitely has some effect. Not a lot of folks do their due diligence and form their own opinions when something is banged into their head 25 times a day. Thank goodness I've always formed my own opinions on new items, but a large majority of newer shooters may not be in that boat. Will it make a new item live or die? Not immediately. But in the long run it definitely has some effect ... especially on an uncommon cartridge that some newcomers can't grasp the concept of.

Well at first I was all in not because I believed Hornady's hype and expected the 22 ARC to be magic sauce, I just like having different chamberings in the AR to play with.

However, the more I really look at it, I've cooled my jets.

The 22 ARC is starting out just like the 6 ARC di, which I have and really like:

- No brass available
- Little Ammo if any, and really expensive if you can find it, with one to two box limits common really driving up the per-box price if ordered on line.

All of this for what? A couple hundred FPS?

It took a couple years or more for 6 ARC stuff to come available, when this is the case with the 22 ARC I'll give the neat little cartridge a second look.

Back