deep snow

bob123

anyone been out in the deep snow calling and did you have any luck?
I have been wanting to but the snow has me corralled

Depends on what you mean by “deep”? In my experience, when we get a good dump of snow over say, 12”-16” I don’t see predator movement until it packs up or crusts over to where they can stay on top. I’ve had occasional successes near snowmobile trails and seasonal roads with packed tracks but nothing that I bank on too much these days. Older and wiser I guess? 😉

I will say that as soon as they can move freely after an extreme dumping of snow is some of the best conditions for calling so hit it hard. It’s pretty tough on the hunter but the successes you can have makes it worth the effort. Good luck!

Last edited:
Exploring the deep snow and calling for game can be an exhilarating adventure, but it also comes with its challenges, especially when the snowfall is heavy. While the idea of venturing out into the wintry wilderness is tempting, it's crucial to prioritize safety and preparedness. Deep snow can make travel difficult and increase the risk of getting stuck or lost. However, with the right gear, knowledge, and precautions, it can also be a rewarding experience. In parallel, I also searched for all the information to project management research topics on https://essaypro.com/blog/project-management-research-topics. Remember to check weather conditions, inform someone of your plans, and carry essential supplies. Patience and persistence often pay off in the wild, so stay safe and enjoy the thrill of the hunt!

Last edited:
I spent a good part of my life in snow country, snowshoes and skis are your friends. Ski poles make great cross sticks just loop the wrist straps over the other pole. When the snow is deep enough stomp quietly a hole for your legs and sit on your skis or snowshoes, a foam pad keeps your butt warm. With deep soft snow hunting cedar thickets or places where snow doesnt accumulate, in WA Russian Olive thickets had lots of thick branches and the snow didn't get deep under them with lots of food for the critters including coyotes. When I head to snow country I keep a pair of snowshoes(lightweight aluminum ones) and XC skis in the truck.

Deer hunting WI late 1960's/early 70's
WGCfra.jpg
PXL_20240205_215142192.jpg

Last edited:
Another thought on deep snow once it crusts make paths to your stands. We were hunting central WA and received 8" of wet snow and then the temps plummeted everything was crunchy. The first three days we never saw a coyote. The next three days we hiked into our stands in the same tracks we made earlier in the week crunching in, this time we went in relatively silent and killed six coyotes.

AWS’s last post about crunchy snow struck up a hunt memory from a few years back. It was a setup on a field that was tucked back in a ways at the end of a farm road. Cedar swamp on one side and a small river on the other. Well we had gotten a lot of rain about a week prior, followed by a freeze and heavy dumping of snow. I was going to pull a set right at dusk and walking in on the road wasn’t bad at all. Right where it opened into the field there was a 15-20 foot low spot that unbeknownst to me had flooded, frozen over, and the water underneath receded leaving a nice flat snow covered echo chamber when my hefty butt broke through with every step I took. It was a long enough walk in that I didn’t want to walk back out without trying! I figured that there wasn’t a rabbit or bird big enough to make that much racket so I made a couple excited pair yip howls followed by fawn distress and within seconds of starting fawn I had a triple come blazing in. I got one dumped and had feeding issues getting the next round chambered.

I guess a shorter way to tell the story is… If you make a lot of noise and refuse to back out… Sound like something that would/could make a lot of noise! Lol…

Back