6MM BENCH REST CALIBER

smsnyder

Any of you guys use the 6mm benchrest caliber for ground hogs? i just purchased one and all i can say is WOW. 10 shots into the same hole. 70 grain blitz king bullet.

Sorry but we need pics or this thread is worthless. Just kidding. What kind of range do they have in comparison to your 6.5-284? But seriously we do want pics.

Quote:

y dad used to shoot one, back when the .243 had just came out.

How'd he do that - the 6mm Bench Rest became standard about in 1990, and the 243 showed up in 1955 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif ???

-

Smsnyder...

They are great on ground hogs... with fragile bullets, you can easily roll hogs at 500+ yds.

70gr TNTs, 70 BlitzKings, 75 V-maxs, and 80gr Blitz really deliver.

he shot a 6mm not the br version. and seeing when teh .243 came out im thinking either he ment he was shooting it when the orignal 6mm came out. I just remember him talking about it.

Last edited:
Quote:
I shoot the 75 gr V-Max in one of mine and it sure is fun. Try some Benchmark powder, it works very well in mine.

+1

BenchMark is the "Go To" powder for light and medium weight varmint bullets.

The 6BR is a great varmint round. I think if it had a different name, it would have been WAY more popular. It's looks are very deceiving. I'm getting near 243Win #'s with a 26" barrel (without the 'pop' or powder burn).

I've had good luck with Benchmark, Varget, & N135 with bullet weights 65-80grs. The 75gr v-max seems to be the best of both worlds. It's surprising how violent it is at BR volocities.

I originally planned on shooting the 87gr vmax (built a 1-10 twist). However, I have not got the 87's to shoot nearly as good as the lighter vmax's.

Have fun with the BR; it is a super fun cartridge with amazing accuracy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Any of you guys use the 6mm benchrest caliber for ground hogs? i just purchased one and all i can say is WOW. 10 shots into the same hole. 70 grain blitz king bullet.

What twist does your rifle have? I have one in a AR that has the 1/8 twist. I haven't shot the lighter bullets yet and so far it is very accurate, even with me shooting it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I use RL 15 behind a 105 Berger and get almost 2900 fps with it. Very good at 600 yds. Loads of fun. I hope to try it out on PD's in June.

Jimmy

6mmBR i believe it is 12 twist. the rifle weights 16lbs.

ccvv
MVC-193S.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 6BR in a pistol, and it shoots the 70 NBT into small groups. I recently tried shooting it at 300 yards. When the water jug didn't explode, I thought I was missing. So, I shot a couple of rounds at a target, just to see how much drop there was. The result was 14" of drop, and two bullet holes 1 1/2" apart. By the way, the water jug also had two holes in it too.
Jazzball

Quote:
what is the diffrence in the old 6mm and the newer 6mm br?

The "Old 6mm" holds almost twice as much powder as the 6mmBR.

It's about the same relationship as the "old 22-250", and the 222 Rem.

In well built rifles, the "old 6mm Rem" is a 600 to ~1,000 yd ground hog rifle, the 6mmBR is a 400 to ~500 yd ground hog rifle.

This may help

6mm3dcase_3.jpg

Imagine this:
6mm Rem + 70gr bullet = ~3700fps with a warmish load
or
6mmBR + same 70gr bullet = ~3300 with a warmish load

Not much gain with nearly twice the powder & twice the pop!

Oh & the 6br will likley be more accurate.

Quote:
Imagine this:
6mm Rem + 70gr bullet = ~3700fps with a warmish load
or
6mmBR + same 70gr bullet = ~3300 with a warmish load

Not much gain with nearly twice the powder & twice the pop!

I'm sorry... but I can't see your numbers.

I shoot both cartridges, and with "warm" loads, the 6mm Rem will get easily get 3800, and the difference between 3300 and 3800, does NOT fall into the "... not much gain" department.

It's 500 fps faster... that's a hell of a lot faster.

But the real advantage comes with heavy bullets, and the 6mm Rem will run away from the BR in the field.

Your comment is kinda like saying that there is "not much gain" between the 308 and the 300 Win Mag...
. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Well, everything is relative: I don't think 20 cents extra for gas is "that much" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Comes out to be about $5 more a trip for me. I'm sure there are people out there that finds it hard to come up with the extra coin... Is $5 "that much" to you??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Being more relative (at least to your post)...take a quick look at the Nosler #4, Hodgdons website and Reloaders nest (just to name a few, I don't have access to my other manuals at the moment). Not one published maximum even up to 3700 fps and a 70gr bullet. That means I was gracious with the 3700 (I realize each rifle is different and books are "guidelines" but I call published max loads WARM...if you get over that your HOT )

Not saying you can't get 3800 “easily”. But at the same time I get way over 3300 with my BR “easily”. Again, I said warm; not hot... but that is relative also….

The Nosler #4 shows 3450 for a 70gr & 34gr's of varget. SAME book shows fastest load for a 70 gr 6mm Rem at 3620 with 50.5 grains of IMR 4831. BOTH GUNS WERE 24" TEST BARRELL. 3620-3450=170FPS diff. Less than 5% gain with over 30% more powder...

So... the way I look at it, with >30% less pop ... more than twice the barrel life... Unless you push the envelope with the 6Rem, DON'T have a rangefinder (you have to rely on flat trajectory), or you MUST have the red mist factor...there is not "that much" gain. I don’t think so & the groundhogs won’t either.

Quote:
Quote:
what is the diffrence in the old 6mm and the newer 6mm br?

The "Old 6mm" holds almost twice as much powder as the 6mmBR.

It's about the same relationship as the "old 22-250", and the 222 Rem.

In well built rifles, the "old 6mm Rem" is a 600 to ~1,000 yd ground hog rifle, the 6mmBR is a 400 to ~500 yd ground hog rifle.

Why would you say that the 6BR is only good to 500 yds?

Do you mean it can't hit them or that if hit it won't kill them? If you check with people that shoot paper, the 6BR holds all kinds of records at 600 and 1000 yds. I just a few minutes ago got back from shooting my Dtech 6BR AR at 600 yds and I was shooting with a guy with a 3 or 4 thousand dollar bolt rifle (6BR) and I shot the same score as he did on the 1st 2 strings of 20 rds. I didn't do as well when the wind started blowing alot, but the rifle was competitive with his high dollar bolt gun. The ballistics of a 6BR is very close to a .308.

Jimmy

Back