224 Valkyrie for coyotes???

No it's not a joke start figuring in Barrel lengths and get some real world chronograph data. A 2250 is only a hundred or a hundred and fifty feet or second faster in load data. My Remington 700 vs 220 Swift in 14 twist with a Max load of Varget which is 36 grains and a 55 ballistic tip is only middle 3600s over my chronograph. My 22 in Savage 12 twist with a 60 bt is mid to high 3400s.

Last edited:
gotta love it when a guy posts

Originally Posted By: JDF_GSPI'm sure the OP feels like he has had more than enough help from this thread, and therefore I am out. I do admire your resolve though.

then keeps right on making posts.
rolleyes.gif

Faked you out didn't I? I keep wanting to be done, but it's so much fun I keep crawling back. LOL! This time I am out for real though... or am I? stay tuned

Last edited:
You guys are wrong if you think just because a box gives you a speed on it that you can just shove it in the chamber of any length tube and it comes out that fast

Last edited:
i never claimed to be out so i have a question. what kind of equipment are you guys using that allows you to shoot a coyote 500 yds at night? and its a serious question. that's amazing to me.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223You guys are wrong if you think just because a box gives you a speed on it that you can just shove it in the chamber of any length tube and it comes out that fast

RedneckBMX already told you he was getting 3380 with the factory Fed 60gr stuff. That stuff used to have 3150 listed on the box but now has 3300.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti never claimed to be out so i have a question. what kind of equipment are you guys using that allows you to shoot a coyote 500 yds at night? and its a serious question. that's amazing to me. Pulsar trail xp 50..... sometimes they only allow you to shoot at them. They have had some point of impact shift issues with temperature change. The one I'm shooting now will move maybe an inch and a half from right to left from room temperature to 20 some degrees. But I'm not normally group shooting when I'm checking 0 so some of that could be a typical half inch three-quarter inch group not to mention it's tough to aim super precise at a hand warmer with a digital scope.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Captramrod01Originally Posted By: varminter .223You guys are wrong if you think just because a box gives you a speed on it that you can just shove it in the chamber of any length tube and it comes out that fast

RedneckBMX already told you he was getting 3380 with the factory Fed 60gr stuff. That stuff used to have 3150 listed on the box but now has 3300.
Well it wouldn't surprise me on a new cartridge that things might change and be refined but my statement was just in general about an ammos advertised speed and what a load data book might say.

Last edited:
Op.... if you want to kill coyotes on the cheap another one is to build about an 18 to 22" 6x45.
Just run your two to three brass through 6x45 die, trim and your set. Double Up here is having good success with one of those which I believe is a 20-inch and he's getting around 3400 feet per second with the 55 varmageddon. If you want to go short accurate 2200 is an excellent powder and can get you can get up to 3300 feet per second with a 55 out of a 16 in 10 twist.
We sort of questioned why we got into the 22 Nosler after researching the 6X 45 more but it's like a swift vs 22-250 or 6 mm rem vs 243..... it gets you that extra hundred feet per second or so. The 6 mm is a huge advantage if you want to shorten your tube up a bit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti never claimed to be out so i have a question. what kind of equipment are you guys using that allows you to shoot a coyote 500 yds at night? and its a serious question. that's amazing to me. Pulsar trail xp 50..... sometimes they only allow you to shoot at them. They have had some point of impact shift issues with temperature change. The one I'm shooting now will move maybe an inch and a half from right to left from room temperature to 20 some degrees. But I'm not normally group shooting when I'm checking 0 so some of that could be a typical half inch three-quarter inch group not to mention it's tough to aim super precise at a hand warmer with a digital scope.

all the poi shift aside, you can actually see a coyote plenty good enough at 500yds to shoot it with that trail xp 50?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti never claimed to be out so i have a question. what kind of equipment are you guys using that allows you to shoot a coyote 500 yds at night? and its a serious question. that's amazing to me. Pulsar trail xp 50..... sometimes they only allow you to shoot at them. They have had some point of impact shift issues with temperature change. The one I'm shooting now will move maybe an inch and a half from right to left from room temperature to 20 some degrees. But I'm not normally group shooting when I'm checking 0 so some of that could be a typical half inch three-quarter inch group not to mention it's tough to aim super precise at a hand warmer with a digital scope.

all the poi shift aside, you can actually see a coyote plenty good enough at 500yds to shoot it with that trail xp 50?
Well with thermal some nights are better than others but ya we killed that one running way out past 400. We may not do it again LOL but we did it and we can see it happen in the scope. If it's one thing I'm not it's a bs-er if I'm telling you on here it's straight-up fact. Dozerxj dont call me crazy Uncle Nate for nothing.
Not everything in the coyote field just happens sometimes you got to make it happen lol. It's all on video I just can't figure out how to get it off of my phone onto YouTube.
Earlier in the year we had a lot of coyotes come in close now they seem to be hanging up out at that three 400-yard mark. After a miss or two I guess they get a little wiser not to mention other people we don't know about that are hunting them. We've been trying to hold off on the mag dumps but we really do clean up an amazing number of coyotes when shooting at them while they're running.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Op.... if you want to kill coyotes on the cheap another one is to build about an 18 to 22" 6x45.
Just run your two to three brass through 6x45 die, trim and your set. Double Up here is having good success with one of those which I believe is a 20-inch and he's getting around 3400 feet per second with the 55 varmageddon. If you want to go short accurate 2200 is an excellent powder and can get you can get up to 3300 feet per second with a 55 out of a 16 in 10 twist.

I'm currently running a 16 inch suppressed 6x45. 55s at 3225 with AA2200. Pretty good combo.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti never claimed to be out so i have a question. what kind of equipment are you guys using that allows you to shoot a coyote 500 yds at night? and its a serious question. that's amazing to me.

I shoot them that far and further and I almost always use my L3 M2124LR NV clip on. I prefer the NV to thermal because it allows me to ID between a fox and a yote which isn't happening with thermal beyond 100 yards or so. I run a Trijicon M300W thermal monocular for scanning to locate potential targets though because thats one are where the NV lacks is being able to detect.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

No friggin way it's happening with a XP50. I have a LWTS which is head and shoulders above a XP50 as far as a dedicated sight goes and no way is that happening with it. The LWTS is also a fully collimated clip on and it's doable in that regard (mine has zero shift between day optic only and clipped on) but it's still stretching it a bit. No way can you ID that it's definitely a yote at that distance either. To reliably connect at that distance and ID you need a HISS-XLR at the tune of $80K. The hiss will get you to 1000 yards on a coyote no problem.

If humidity is over about 75% then forget about using thermal at all. Everything will just look cloudy.

iPNZNO2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the time and discussion. I am going to have to dive a little deeper into the calibers and make a decision. I am however a little tentative to go with a caliber that has not really caught on and get stuck in a situation where I have a round that is brass prep intensive. I have a few calibers that take some time to prep brass and really just want an easier setup. I read through all of the replies and I really do appreciate your passionate responses!

Originally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24
SlickerThanSnot said:
i never claimed to be out so i have a question. what kind of equipment are you guys using that allows you to shoot a coyote 500 yds at night? and its a serious question. that's amazing to me.

I shoot them that far and further and I almost always use my L3 M2124LR NV clip on. I prefer the NV to thermal because it allows me to ID between a fox and a yote which isn't happening with thermal beyond 100 yards or so. I run a Trijicon M300W thermal monocular for scanning to locate potential targets though because thats one are where the NV lacks is being able to detect.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

No friggin way it's happening with a XP50. I have a LWTS which is head and shoulders above a XP50 as far as a dedicated sight goes and no way is that happening with it. The LWTS is also a fully collimated clip on and it's doable in that regard (mine has zero shift between day optic only and clipped on) but it's still stretching it a bit. No way can you ID that it's definitely a yote at that distance either. To reliably connect at that distance and ID you need a HISS-XLR at the tune of $80K. The hiss will get you to 1000 yards on a coyote no problem.

If humidity is over about 75% then forget about using thermal at all. Everything will just look cloudy.

iPNZNO2.jpg

You certainly aren't going to shoot with a great deal of precision with the xp50 at 500 yards but you can plainly see the coyote good enough to make up for Precision with volume.
My radius Rangefinder said he was about 400 when we shot the one he was standing next to. I was personally able to get 31 or 33 shots off at him as he ran away at probably close to a 60 degree angle I know he was at least 500.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223
You certainly aren't going to shoot with a great deal of precision with the xp50 at 500 yards but you can plainly see the coyote good enough to make up for Precision with volume.

But + 2"-2.8" more drop (that has to be doped anyway, too) from 300-500 yards is unacceptable and will mean a miss.

You're hilarious guy.

Back