22 Hornet - 35VMax or 40VMax - Lil Gun

Hidalgo

About to start loading (again) for the M77 Hornet. I never did get much done with it the first time I tried. I have Lil Gun on hand, but no bullets yet.

Do any of you load for it and if you do are you loading 35 or 40 grain bullets? The 35 is a FB ad the 40 is a BT. I have heard over time that FB bullets usually are more accurate in these little guns, and it will need all the help it can get.

All thoughts/experiences appreciated !

35gr Vmax and 13gr of LILgun no mag primers. This load shoots better than every other I've tried. And I shot alot. 4 key things I found for accuracy.
Bullet 35gr vmax
Brass Remington
Primer Rem 6 1/2
Powder Lilgun
This load shoots in 3 hornets I have including a 77 Ruger

I bought a savage 24F predator last year. It’s 22Hornet over choked 12 gauge. Lightened the trigger to around 3.5 pounds if I remember. I tried 40 grain vmax( all I had for lighter bullets) with lil gun. I did a ladder test with lil gun and another powder. About 1.5” to 1 1/4” groups on average. Wasn't the greatest grouping load test and turned me off. Gun is pretty close to regulated when zeroed at 100 yards. I might have to try again if I find some more light bullets. I knew it was a rare caliber in 24F so I had to snag it when it came up for sale. After shooting it I’d rather grab my 223 LTR. It shoots tighter at 350 yards than my current 100 yard load with the 24f 22 hornet load. It’s fun to shoot though. I like how quiet the round is but accuracy I would have thought would be better. Imo I’d rather grab my 22 WMR or 223 before it.

When I was shooting a hornet, my favorite bullet was the Win 46gr HP. I shoot the Speer 45gr SP in my 222 reduced loads.

My 24F was never shot. When I took it out to ladder test I tried a few cheap trap loads in the 12 gauge barrel. I had one shell that wouldn’t eject. Didn’t have a rod with me to knock it out. Hast done it since but that also turned me off. I had a 1-4 optic on it. Swapped to a higher power optic for retesting with see through rings but never got around to retesting. Figured I could use the open sights for the shotgun with see through rings and Take advantage of a higher powered optic for long range shots.

I shoot the 40 grain vmax with lil gun, Winchester brass and a CCi 2oo primer. Not quite bug holes but close. Deadly on Coyotes out to 200. My hornet is a k Hornet tho.

About to start loading (again) for the M77 Hornet. I never did get much done with it the first time I tried. I have Lil Gun on hand, but no bullets yet.

Do any of you load for it and if you do are you loading 35 or 40 grain bullets? The 35 is a FB ad the 40 is a BT. I have heard over time that FB bullets usually are more accurate in these little guns, and it will need all the help it can get.

All thoughts/experiences appreciated !
I need to get a hornet of some sort, I’be always been so intrigued by them. For a short, lightweight, 200 yard gun, I always thought they’d be the ticket. I’m big on the speedy 17s, been thinking about the 17 Hortnet for good bit. Is 200 yards, about the max with the hornet case?

I like the quiet rapport of the hornet, but I don’t like that they’re not as inherit accurate as other calibers. I think the next step up is what…221 fireball? Probably way louder but you’re not dealing with the goofy cases and case necks on the hornets. My 22 WMR is way more accurate at 100 yards than my hornet is. I’d rather hit exactly where I am aiming at. You can always download a 223 As well probably be more accurate and almost as quiet. I’d sell my 24F predator for 1200 if anybody’s interested plus shipping.

Last edited:
Hornets are terrible simply by the case design. While headspacing off the rim isn't necessarily a bad thing, the lack of any appreciable shoulder doesn't help with overall cartridge alignment. And take into consideration that the brass is so thin it's hard to seat the bullet anywhere near perfectly aligned with the case.

I'm not a Hornet fan, nor against them. I own one and I am going to spend some time trying to get it to shoot MOA if I can. Itty-bitty groups aren't in the cards and I know that. And reaming to a K isn't on the table as of yet. The rifle will see use as a close range (inside 150 yards) predator/varmint gun on our property so anything near minute-of-groundhog is acceptable for my use. And if it doesn't play out, I do have a T-Bolt 22WMR that is well under MOA if I decide to let the little Ruger go to another home.

And yeah ....... I'm probably a glutton for punishment ........ :LOL:

I have found the 22Hornet to be some what picky. Change up in sizing can make a huge difference. Chambers and throats can be all over the place. Had a couple of 22 Hornet barrels for TC’s, both had their own quirks. Found the 30-20/32-20 to be more in line with my needs.
I have a Savage model 40. I did some swapping for a CZ, I got my Savage back after fooling with the CZ. Twist would not shoot anything but the old stubby Hornet style bullet and darn sure none of my cast stuff. The model 40 is not much more than a 22LR action, locking lug is the bolt handle. A fair bit of discussion on the design with a fair bit of negative.
I don’t try to make it more than it is. Actually treat it more like a center fire 22LR or 22mag. But it will shoot a 40 grain v max @ 100 as good as anything else. I loaded up some cast bullets and treated it like a 22LR. Accuracy was stellar.

I've had my Ruger 77 Hornet since 1992, or so, and when I first got it, it was a reliably 2" shooter, with factory loads.

It shoots MOA, or slightly better, now.

Using Lilgun, the accuracy improved as I increased the powder charge. I use 13.0grs, and it is all that will fit, even with a short drop tube.

Small pistol primers also helped, though one load prefers Rem 71/2 primers.

I also resize with a Lee Collet Die. After seeing the accuracy improvement for the Hornet, I bought a Collet die for everything I load for.

Also helping was the addition of a Timney spring and sear kit for the trigger. My Ruger weighs about 6lbs, and the factory trigger pull was about 6lbs. Now, the trigger pull is about 2lbs.

There is a lot of talk about adding a shim kit to the 2 Piece bolt. I have not done that to mine.

My buddy bought an identical Ruger about 2 years after I did, and, in factory form, was also a 2" shooter, with factory ammo. We did the same for his rifle as mine, and iy now also shoots MOA, or a bit better.

I've shot many, many coyotes with mine. When they are facing me, as in a calling situation, I find much beyond 100yds, and I get floppers and runners. For a broadside shot, I'll stretch it to 150-175yds.

My coyote load is 13.0grs Lilgun, WW case, WW small pistol primer and a 45gr Barnes XLC. This load will shoot MOA, or slightly larger. It's not as accurate as some other loads, but the Barnes XLC just hits coyotes harder than any other bullet I've tried, it's like hitting them with more horsepower. When I run out of XLC's, I use the Barnes TSX.

It's a fun cartridge!

I have a CZ 527 22 Hornet, mine really likes the 35gr Vmax Hornady factory ammo…shoots under 1” @ 100yds…Also have one in 221 Fireball, it shoots about the same with factory 40gr Nosler BTHP

I just went on arms list in my city yesterday and found some guy selling new primed Hornady stamped 22 hornet brass, projectiles, factory PPU ammo, fire formed k hornet brass, and k hornet dies cheap. He lived about 20 minutes from me. The add said he would trade for 44 mag, 357, or 45 acp ammo. I sent him a message and asked him if he was interested in Cast bullets. He said yes, so I traded him 475 cast bullets I powder coated and hornady gas checked. I had them divided up and color coated in one grain increments. I grabbed a couple piles of them from out in my garage that I’ve casted up over the last four or five years of massive overstock just because I have fun casting them up. I grabbed two plastic containers out in the garage and a bag of hollow points. I counted almost 825 and told him he could pick and choose what he wanted. He grabbed the 220 count bag of blue Lee 300 grain .430’s, a 109 count bag of lee 300 grain FN .452’s, and the bag of 144 Lyman devastator .430 hollow points in various colors. Said that would work for an equal trade for his 650 jacketed projectiles. I had a bag of 500 ACME 9mm in hytec green cast bullets I traded equally for 150 new hornady primed brass in blue plastic cases. I still have a bunch of 452’s and . 430’s if anyone is interested? So I ended up with 450 Remington 45 grain HPs. The fat round nose HP’s designed for hornets, and a box of 100 each of 35 grain and 40 grain vmax In the deal! They also had three boxes of factory PPU 50 count hornet ammo that was offered to me for 50 bucks for all three boxes which is a smoking deal, but I passed on it because I have more bullets, primers, a small rate flat box full of 22 hornet cases already in hand, and several pounds of powders then I know what to do with for hornet now.

He only wanted $75 for all 650 bullets and $45 for the primed cases. I would’ve snagged both of those up for cash regardless if he didn’t want to trade. Imo they were cheap and hard to get your hands on anything 22 hornet “anything“ right now.

my score…

some of the cast I traded him for…

I’ve shot all three of the cast bullet choices i traded him in my 450 bushmaster and 44 magnum rifles. The bushmaster shot MOA and my 44 magnum rifle was shooting almost half MOA With the hollow points all with healthy loads of H110 and lil gun.

The guy I got these from so he lived over in Germany for 30 years and was listing off his rifles he owned over the years. He also laughed when I told him I couldn’t find a good tight shooting load in my 24F and said that the round is not inherently accurate. He was telling me about his high dollar over under guns he use to own over in Germany and said they we’re tac drivers. He even had a couple of triple barrel ones I guess. He told me that the Remington 45 grain fat hollow points should be pretty accurate in my gun because they’re designed for hornet. The hornady 35 grain are designed the same way. They are designed fat and round so there is more contact surface with the rifling. The only light .224 bullet I had laying around to test at the time in mine were the same 40 grain vmax I got from him. He said they taper down (and also boat tail) so there is a lot less contact with the lands so they won’t be as accurate as the other ones I got from him that were specifically designed for the hornet. I’m sure the Remington hollow points that I got are probably obsolete or they don’t make anymore but I would tell you to look for that 35 grain Vmax since it’s a short little fat projectile just like the Remington. The 35 grain Hornadys I’ve been looking for on the shelves since I bought my gun last year and they have been non existent.

You can see in the close up here of how much surface is going to engage with the rifling which makes sense of what he was saying. The one in the bag is the 40 grain VMAX the one in the middle is the 45 Caliber hollow point made by Remington in the short fat one is the 35 Vmax made for hornet.

You can see the 40 grain… the one in the bag that’s boat tailed. Imo they probably aren’t as stable at low velocities since there's less contact surface for the rifling to come in contact with. I made green marks on how much bearing surface on the below photo to give you an idea of how much contact with the rifling you're getting with each bullet. Looks like both the 45 grain Remington HPs and 35 grain Hornady Vmax has at least 1/3rd, or more, longer bearing surface than the 40 grain vmax. Kind of reminds me of the concept of the round nose Sierras or core loct round nose bullet offerings that are short and fat. Most manufacturers say that the design aids in slower speeds and close range accuracy because there's more bearing surface to grab going down the barrel. Don’t know but I’ll find out when I load up some ladder tests with Lil gun.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Speer 45 grain soft points. I’ve had four .22 Hornets over the years (CZ currently) and found out early-on those bullets were both accurate and deadly on big groundhogs. Lil’ Gun, in tiny increments, works well with them.

Attachments

• 080B90CE-C5F9-45D9-9B88-074E29BAEDB6.jpeg
    080B90CE-C5F9-45D9-9B88-074E29BAEDB6.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I have had two hornet rifles and they can be picky. I tried everything and found that lil gun with small pistol primers behind a sierra 45 grain bullet is the ticket. The jam is that you can use rimfire suppressors with the hornet making a light set up (make sure your suppressor is rated for the hornet). I have killed a handful of coyotes with this set up.

Back