22 Creedmoor Recommendations

TXCOONDOG

Started a thread about 22-250, but brass is virtually impossible to find, especially Laupa, so I'm starting a different thread to discuss a possible 22 C build.

What action do you recommend? I'm fond of the 700 action but considering finding something with a 60 degree bolt lift.
I know a lot of shooters like the 1:8 T for the heavies, but not sure how it will do with 40, 50 & 60 grainers (overspin/RPM). Thoughts?

Note: More than likely, I will go with an 18-20" X-Caliber or CBI barrel

Depending on how much you want to spend, there are tons of options. I pulled a barrel off a Tikka and screwed on a McGowen. Installed a lighter trigger spring and have a 22 Creed that works. I have multiple full customs in other cartridges. But that semi custom is probably my favorite rifle.

I have a 22 Creed AR with an Xcal barrel. With the gas turned off it shoots really well. I’ll definitely try another Xcal barrel.

I did a 9 twist on the AR and a 7.7 twist on the bolt rifle. I’m shooting 80’s in the bolt rifle and 53’s in the AR. Going to try a heavier bullet in the AR because of brass issues though.

If strictly wanting to shoot light bullets a 12 twist would probably work. The 62 ELD VT might be a bullet to look into. It will require a faster twist though then it’s weight suggests.

Using 40-60 grainers defeats the whole purpose of the 22 Creed.

Unless you load down, you are going to blow up these bullets regardless of the spin.

If I was getting a 22 creed (which I am considering) it would be a Horizon with the 18 inch barrel for suppressor and a 1:8

If I was getting a 22 creed (which I am considering) it would be a Horizon with the 18 inch barrel for suppressor and a 1:8

Is this what you are considering? That is one FINE looking rifle. (y)

Yeah I handled one at the Dallas Safari Club show last month.

I have a Horizon in 6.5 CM built before they got into the 22 CM and their core line.

Venatic here at PM has the first 22 CM they ever built and had a lot to do with the development. I think that one is on its second barrel.

Like everything else, the only pause is the money involved.

I'm a member of the Safari Club. Wish I had known you were going to be there, I might have tried to meet you there.

I See Bauer Precision is in Denton ... about an hour from me (I'm in Weatherford). Have you been to their place? Is it a storefront or just an online operation?

I’ve been to their place in College Ststion. They were just doing custom builds when I was there. I assume you can buy there.

They have several dealers for their Core line. From what I hear they are in high demand so may be hard to find now. Probably be a back log.

They also have a dealer in Graham.

Last edited:
See his post on page 2

Started a thread about 22-250, but brass is virtually impossible to find, especially Laupa, so I'm starting a different thread to discuss a possible 22 C build.

What action do you recommend? I'm fond of the 700 action but considering finding something with a 60 degree bolt lift.
I know a lot of shooters like the 1:8 T for the heavies, but not sure how it will do with 40, 50 & 60 grainers (overspin/RPM). Thoughts?

Definitely let us know what you wind up going with, I’m always curious about different actions and such. Be interested in what you wind up going with, all of mine are built on a 700. Sure hope you like your new rig

With some of the aftermarket actions available I wouldn't waste my money on a 700. By the time you have the 700 touched up you're going to be in custom territory anyway.

If you're interested in a 60 degree bolt, check out the solus action for a budget build or the Terminus Zues for a pricier option. I have seen the Solus selling for less than $700. It also uses origin shouldered prefits, so you can find a barrel about anywhere.

I recently ran some of the 1st lot of the 62's through a 18" 22creed with 1:9 twist hoping the creed had enough speed to spin reliably. I got great groups for about 50 rounds then couldn't shoot them any longer as the barrel would not shoot them anymore. I was at 3620fps with varget, cci 450, alpha srp brass, shilen barrel on defiance action.

18" is good, but go 8 twist. My other bullet I run that shoots and does well is 69tmk.

Anyone built an AR 10 in 22 Creed? If so, Let's hear about the build, accuracy and velocities. I've already bought the dies and trying to decide between 6mm Laupa brass or just go with Alpha or Peterson 22 C head stamped brass.

I was looking through my stuff and found a SS Remington 700 action that has been trued so now just need to order a barrel for it and look at chassis system with folding stock options.

Anyone built an AR 10 in 22 Creed? If so, Let's hear about the build, accuracy and velocities. I've already bought the dies and trying to decide between 6mm Laupa brass or just go with Alpha or Peterson 22 C head stamped brass.

I was looking through my stuff and found a SS Remington 700 action that has been trued so now just need to order a barrel for it and look at chassis system with folding stock options.
I built one. I went 9 twist specifically to shoot the 53’s and as heavy as would stabilize with a 9 twist. Rifle +2, 3 tungsten buffers, 20” barrel, SLR adjustable gas block.

With the gas shut off it shoots really well. With the gas on it doesn’t shoot as well and is extremely hard on the brass.

I’m going to try either 70 grain Bergers or 69 TMK’s.

Hornady is now making 22 CM brass as well.

I just ordered 100 ... "just because". I can justify letting them sit on the shelf and if not needed I can easily get rid of them later on. ;) Now we have to figure out how to get our hands on a Horizon / Vandal. You've got me itching for one since you mentioned it a few days ago. Like you said though ... money is going to be hard to give up at that price point. Somewhere around $1500 would be a lot easier on my bank account.

Back