Which Suppressor to Buy???

patboos44

So I'm looking into getting my first suppressor. I plan on using it on my small calider rifles. A .556 ar, .204 bolt action, 22-250 bolt action, and 6mm arc ar. I was wondering which would be the best suppressor to get that would cover those rifles? Thanks in advance for any help and insight!

X2 on Thunderbeast but I'd probably go with their Gen2 Ultra 7 or Ultra 9 if you don't mind a little extra length and want it even quieter.

X3 on TBAC. However, I think the Model you choose depends on your primary use.... Ex. hunting, target shooting, etc.... How will you use those rifles? Primarily stationary? Then go for a big long suppressor. Sticking a long, large suppressor on a lightweight hunting rifle makes it heavy on the front end, changes the balance when shooting and when carrying it around. Throwing a large suppressor on a heavy long range rifle that is used primarily at a range makes more sense.

I have an Ultra 338, Ultra 9, and 22 take down. I hunt with the ultra 9 on a 6.5CM and it is the max length and weight I like on a hunting rifle. The length/size/volume of the Ultra 338 makes it awesome on the range but lugging around 20 ounces vs 10 ounces makes it not as enjoyable if you have to cover any distance.

Just something to consider before making your decision.

If you are a data person, you may want to look here: https://thunderbeastarms.com/sound/summit2023/
Tons of info on various suppressors on different platforms

Thanks everyone for the fast feedback! It'll mainly be used for coyote and deer hunting and also target shooting! I'm definitely going to look into the thunder beast now! Thanks!

X2 on Thunderbeast but I'd probably go with their Gen2 Ultra 7 or Ultra 9 if you don't mind a little extra length and want it even quieter.
I thought the Ultra 7 and Dominus were the same when it comes to sound reduction?

I have a 338 Ultra on order just for coyote hunting. I want max sound reduction and that one is the best. I don’t care about weight coyote hunting since I’m packing way less than when deer/elk hunting.

I thought the Ultra 7 and Dominus were the same when it comes to sound reduction?
You'd want to check with the guys at TBAC about this to be sure but if I recall back when TBAC said they metered about the same it was before they came out with the Gen2 Ultra7 & 9. The Gen2 Ultra is a little quieter then the Gen1 Ultra's.

If a person doesn't mind waiting a couple more months TBAC is working on a short and mid length Magnus suppressor. A mid length Magnus is one that I will be waiting to see and very well could be my next can.

I run a 30 cal dead air sandman s...have no complaints with it, rated for 17hmr thru 300 win mag The keymo qd mount is also very slick.. little cheaper than the thunderbeast if price matters

I've been more than happy with my Dead Air Nomad Ti, 6.5" x 1.75", and 10 ozs.

biOnYTd.jpg

Length and weight were important to me.

I went with an Otter Creek Labs Polonium K — 5.56. It uses a 6mm bore that is also compatible with any 6mm/.243 cartridges.

I use a direct thread mount to keep weight and length down.

I am not a high volume shooter and it still does a great job with sound at 4.8" length, 1.625" OD and 11.5 oz weight.

I have 3 thunder beast suppressors. An 6.5 ultra 7, 338 ultra 9 and a 30 cal Dominus. I'm happy with all of them. I do have a couple OSS suppressors on AR's that I bought for decreased "blow back". I'm very happy with them as well but they are not as quite as my thunder beasts. There are many other great suppressors out there. There is a lot of information available online to educate yourself.
If you want to use one suppressor on all 4 guns you mentioned, an ultra 7 in 6.5 cal isn't a bad option. You could also look at the Magnus and Dominus options.

since this is your first suppressor - i recommend instead of specializing to go with something thats more of a jack of all trades.

that said - get a silencerco hybrid 46. i have a few friends with them and they're fantastic with everything from 556/223, 9mm, 450 bushmaster, 308 and others.

itll handle your small caliber stuff just fine - and is capable up to 45 caliber (45-70, 450 bushmaster, 458 socom), as well as being rated for magnum cartridges up to 338LM.

dont worry about the smaller endcaps - shoot it first with the smaller stuff before you punk down the $ for them. not saying it doesnt help, just saying you dont *need* them and... it puts you at risk of forgetting you had the smaller endcap on when you switch to a bigger caliber and ending up with a sad day instead of the *pew pew grin*

being able to utilize your suppressor on a 9mm carbine with 147gr subs because you got something in 30 cal is a real sad panda moment lol

trust me when i say once you start shooting suppressed - you wont want to shoot unsuppressed if thats an option. and having to go "aww man i cant use this on my _____" really stinks.

hth

The first suppressors I purchased were Dead Air Sandman S and they have been great on my ARs in 6.5 Grendel and 22 Nosler. I've also used them on 22-250 and 6 Creedmoor bolt actions. However, the more I got into coyote hunting, I purchased Dead Air Nomad LTi suppressors and they are noticeably more quiet and lighter without adding much length. Plus, I can still use the KeyMo brakes and KeyMo adapter on the Nomads or use as direct thread to move around to ARs and bolt-actions as needed. Similar to other responses, I'd recommend a suppressor that gives you the most flexibility and performance.

Back