Very first e-calling experience

Spurchaser

This was the first time using an e-caller about 5 months ago. I’d walked out checking this field the night before and found 4 pups digging in the field and the female off to the side against this row of millet I’m next to in this video.
I was able to take 2 coyotes and decided I’d come back and try this calling thing.
I started off with a challenge and was met with a response. I then switched to pup in distress and that’s when things got wild.
I’d set up on that row due to the field to the left is where they all were the night before.
As you can tell, they came from the field to the right, lol. I was concentrating on the “group” and saw this one dart across, but didn’t pay it any attention until it got real close. I kept expecting them to cut through the millet out a ways…she had other plans. She was on a bee line straight for the caller and even though she appeared to look right at me, it didn’t register with her until the gun went boom.
I’m thinking back now wishing I’d had my suppressor back then, lol.

Man, you stirred up a whole covey of 'em. Bet you've used the ecaller pretty regularly since that maiden voyage.:ROFLMAO: Nice shot, did you try to bark her to a stop?

Honestly it didn’t even cross my mind to bark. First time and I was jacked up when they started up and at least let me know they were close and coming in hot.
And yes Sir, I was hooked on calling after that, even though I still had pigs to kill.
My son is into it now and we have about 7500ac to hunt between two properties.
I told him based on my VERY limited experience, that the Summer/pup time is the best so far.
We started out several weeks ago on a roll but, now we’ve hit a stale period. But, we are learning.

Thanks. Like I said still learning the “seasons” of coyotes as far as calling. Although, you’d think trapping would have me dialed in. Like right now, flat and scent post sets rule. Mainly a gland lure whether it be coyote, fox, or even bobcat puts more paws in traps.

Back