Swing and a miss!

hunt0168

HOMAnimated.gif

A few nights back I called a fresh property and called in a pair. I shot the male (3-12-24 Male) and didn’t get a good crack at the female. I did get her to do a flyby that night with pup distress after the shot, but she hit the afterburners upon hitting my scent and she rocketed out of there!

I went back last night with a different wind direction coming out of the Southeast. This required a different approach and setup but would work if she came from where they did a few nights prior. I pushed much closer to where I suspected she was, set the caller out and upwind about 70 yards and I hugged the tree line on the edge of the field with the wind slightly quartering into the woods. I opened the set with a short set of lone howls. MFK sound but forget exactly which one? It’s like 4 howls and pretty calm. I then just sat quiet for about 5 minutes scanning. A group of about 15 deer that were pretty close to the caller trotted up to the top of the field about 250 yards out and just hung out up there. At the 5 minute mark I ran the same series 1 time and again went quiet. About 2 minutes later I picked up a heat signature with my scanner heading towards the downwind side of the field at the very top. I got on the gun and it was a single coyote. I watched as it hit the tree line I was standing on and was making its way along the edge towards me. As it got closer there was a small jog in the treeline that jutted out into the field and at that point the coyote went into the woods and didn’t immediately pop back out. I gave it a minute and had concerns that it would continue the approach inside the woods which would for sure favor the coyote. Thats where the wind was sending my scent. I hit the same sound on the X2s but only played the first howl and muted it. About 10 seconds later the coyote reemerged from the woods at about 170 yards and stared out into the field. It then again turned towards me and headed my way constantly scent checking, nose in the air, looking out into the field. At about 100 yards I decided I would take the first good shot I had when it turned broadside, if it turned broadside!.

I was on the gun and seriously hoping this coyote would start cutting towards the caller out in the field. My current position behind the gun had my footing an a precarious position. Right foot was up, left foot was down and I just wasn’t super stable judging by my floating crosshairs in my optic! Well, as coyotes typically do, it didn’t head towards the caller at all… it turned and headed towards the tree line. It was broadside, but also making me rotate further into an already uncomfortable position. She made one brief pause in her momentum and I think I yanked the trigger like I was shooting clays with a shotgun! Lol… As you can probably guess from the title of this post, the coyote won this one.

One thing that was pretty neat about this hunt was at the shot I jacked a round in the chamber and tracked that coyote screaming back towards where it had came, that group of deer were still hanging around. The coyote ran right through the middle of all of them. As I watched they just stood there acting kind of confused for a few seconds before in no big hurry trotted into the woods. Like the shot didn’t immediately spook them. The coyote running through the middle of them didn’t immediately spook them. I was pondering as to what they might be thinking if they could put human logic to what just happened? Perhaps “I try to bring my family out to a nice place for a quiet dinner and some clown with a noise maker has to get the place all riled up!… let’s get outta here!” Lol…

It was a good hunt. I feel I played it perfect and was totally winning right up to the moment of truth. Just thought it was worth sharing the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was hunting hogs Mon nite and 2 doe show up eating my corn. Had to make a lot of 'quiet' nose to shoo them away. They acted irritated and sauntered off into the woods, in no hurry. Last yr day (time) before opener, (I think) same 2 were at the feeder, I'm on a 4 wheeler in T and jeans, just watching. Finally waved my arm and they left. Strange animals.

Some of us miss occasionally, some never miss at all....................when you meet the fellow that never misses, please introduce me, I'd like to know his secret.:ROFLMAO:
Great story, thanks for sharing.

Yep, good story. I figure you will be back there in a few weeks.
Well here in NY we have a season for coyotes. Hey, it’s NY… would you expect any different? It will be over after the last day of March. I will definitely give it one more try at the end of the month if conditions allow. If it doesn’t end with a dead coyote at that point the spot will have until October to settle down.

Don’t feel bad. Went to local rodeo last night and afterwards I told the wife I was gonna go hunt. I figured sunup and sundown wasn’t doing much so let’s try middle of the night.
Went to a spot and based of the wind and where I’d heard some before. Started with vocals. Played lone male howls, pair howls, lone female howls, fights, and finally pup distress. Nothing worked, the landscape was vacant of heat. After a little bit I went with Baby Cottontail alternating volume and between Tiny Bunny.
Of course I had it made up my head where they would come from and had great vision and footing that direction.
The coyote didn’t read the script and decided to come from the direction I had to spin to get on him and uneven footing. My tripod doesn’t hold the gun in place, that’s my job and I failed miserably!! I get a little “shook” when they come in and instead of getting a solid footing, I raised up on tippy toes and shot straight over him…video confirmed, lol!
It wouldn’t bother me so much, but coyote hunting down here ain’t like dove hunting where you say in another minute another bird will fly by and I can redeem myself! Nope, got to wait for the right weather again and find a coyote to hunt!
I think I’m gonna give it a break and regroup and reevaluate some things. May have to rethink some equipment as well. I just get so consumed trying to “learn” something new sometimes I have to sit back and look things over from another perspective.

I think I’m gonna give it a break and regroup and reevaluate some things. May have to rethink some equipment as well. I just get so consumed trying to “learn” something new sometimes I have to sit back and look things over from another perspective.
You are absolutely correct! I don’t care how long you have been at this, if you can’t learn from what has transpired on every stand that goes wrong, you are at a real disadvantage.

Thanks for sharing.

Back