Spreading hate and discontent

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
The pigs sure hate the 300 HAMR, no doubt about that. And they are full of discontent over the closing of the "all you can eat buffet" out in my sons peanut field. But the bill has come due, it is time to pay up, and the price is...steep.

This is the third night in a row of pigs paying the ultimate price for their indiscretion. At least six took the long dirt nap last night and several more are no doubt not feeling well today. Not bad for a single shooter. There were around 25 pigs and the shooting started at 40 yards. The big girl went 286 on the scale. Her sister 228. One was too far out in the field to recover last night.

The peanuts will all be dug today and by Saturday will all be harvested and hauled away. We will keep heavy pressure on until then with all night sits watching the field. But all winter long they will keep coming back to the fallow field looking for and rooting up missed peanuts. And all winter long we will make occasional trips to levy our toll upon them.

3qV3B53h.jpg

7yNbzCyh.jpg

VN63esTh.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. No pigs last night and only one the night before. I think we have worked them hard enough in a short period of time to convince them it is not healthy, and send them somewhere else for a while.

I wish I could get a sow or 2 that size. Rare to find a sow around here over 150 pounds, at least on our place. Of course they are not eating peanuts, so I guess these woods hogs are having to hustle more. Boars over 250 are rare as well. Most that go over 250 have been cut and released.

Over 250 is not common at all around here, pretty rare. I have shot maybe 8-9 pigs that big in the last 3 years, sows and boars combined. Seems like about 225-230 is really where they start becoming fairly uncommon. I mean anything over 190-200 is big, no doubt. But up to 200-225 I still kill those on a fairly regular basis.

Crops help. We have actually pretty good growing conditions. A good mix of water, cover, and diversity in crops and food sources. They may have to move around a fair amount following the seasons and food cycles, but they can usually find something. The main thing working against ours getting really big, like contest level big, is aerial gunning.

I don't think I have killed a boar (barr) that has been cut. The big boars I have killed have been intact. If I have it was a smaller one and I didn't notice. But we don't have many, if any, hog doggers up here.

Back