So you wanna be a predator hunter...now what?

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
As with many sports or hobbies, once someone has decided to try a new endeavor the all mighty question of "what now" pops up.

Well, first off, what is driving you to become a predator hunter? We all do it for various reasons. Some of us may have started because we got bored sitting in deer or elk camp with nothing to do while we waited for the rest of our hunting group tagged out. Some may have gotten hooked as they walked by a catchy video with some blood pressure raising music full of flashy video shots of predators meeting their demise.

I got started when a friend asked me to give him a call if I ever wanted to go out with him a do some "calling." I had no real idea exactly what went into calling. Sadly, neither did he. We went out for a sundown stand and he managed to call in a grey fox, complete with challenge barking and a flash of the critter as it raced by my 5 foot sight line before being shot at, ineffectively, by my partner. Regardless of the outcome, I was hooked. There was something fascinating for me to try my hand calling in animals who hunt for their survival. Could I be good enough?

Today, predator hunting still gets my blood boiling. Seeing a hard charging coyote or a skulking bobcat just revs my engine. My adrenaline sky rockets and there is just something so satisfying when I hear that bullet connect with a THWAP.

This was not an easy journey. If you think that all it takes is an ecaller, a gun and some camo, you are in for a RUDE awakening. Predator calling is challenging. Make no mistake. Every caller is using every trick int heir book to be the very best. We're not trying to impress each other, we're trying just to the best in our own hearts.

The good news is that you have decided to join a group of hunters that is incredibly generous with their advice and their time. When I was starting out, and was striking out when it came to hanging fur, I was lucky enough to get connected with a local predator hunting club. One of those members was willing to take me out and see what I was doing right and wrong and he was very generous with his advice. That got me going in a positive direction. From 2 years of seeing coyotes but never connecting with one, to going out on my own a calling in 5 in one day. Then a friend asked me to join Predator Masters. Through Predator Masters I have met some of the finest predator hunters I think there are. I found a group of folks who were more than willing to share their stories of success and failures as well as what techniques and tools they had found that worked.

I remember my first PM Convention, sitting in the lobby of the hotel waiting for the Board Of Directors meeting to get out. A gentleman sat down, and we began conversing about predator hunting. He looked familiar but I just couldn't place him. He introduced himself as Byron South, BOOM, I had seen Byron's videos. Here was the man himself sitting right across from me in a hotel lobby.

I had so many questions blasting around in my head, but which one to start with. I was stuck in a bit of a calling slump, so I asked Byron if he had ever been in a slump. He chuckled and told me of course he had, all predator hunters go through slumps. I was blown away. Byron could get dropped onto Mars and I am sure that within 15 minutes he would have a quad of Martian coyotes bombing his way. Yet he is telling me that he has had slumps. And that he will have more. WOW. This motivated me to keep going, through thick and thin.

I remember to how proud I was when senior PM members would remember my name or would ask me to come hunt with them, or one of my proudest days, when they started asking me to call for them. Then I got asked up on stage at a convention to participate in a question an answer session. I look around and I am among the best in the industry. I couldn't believe that I had anything to offer our members, but there I was fielding questions and not just from the audience but from some of the guys that I hold in the highest esteem. It took me some time to realize that I had earned my place up there. I had put in my time, called my share fare of blank stands and I was finally good enough to share my experiences with others.

If you think that there is a magic, golden ticket that is going to launch you into predator hunting glory, you are in for a rude awakening. Predator hunting is hard. Coyotes are smart, bobcats are scarce. And because of sharply produced videos the sport is growing exponentially. Predators are unforgiving. There is a steep learning curve. There is no magic call, gun, camo, scent control, decoy. It is a LOT of hard work. It is stand after blank stand, missing the easy shots, calling in nothing but tumble weeds or other hunters.

The first bit of advice that I can impart, is to figure out what attracts you to the sport? Then decide what you are willing to put in to get it. I played sports at a high level for a long time. When I walked away from those sports I found out that I have an addictive personality. I need to scratch that itch with some kind of sport, whether that is hunting, fishing, competitive shooting, I need something. But predator hunting exacts a price. When I call a blank stand my mind starts reeling at what I need to go buy to make it so that I never have another blank stand again. I used to do jus that. Blank day, I was stopping at Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Sportsman's Warehouse to buy a bag full of cover scents, hand calls, ecaller chips, camo. I spent a lot of money on junk that did nothing more than cause me to buy more junk. But I am stubborn, so I was out again the next weekend.

But because of people like the members of PM, I was able to filter through the things that worked and stop my addiction to failure.

Now it's my turn to help another up and coming predator hunter. Over the years I have volunteered to take out new predator hunters. I volunteered to be a hunters ed instructor. I was lucky enough to be able to meet other PM members at the convention and get to take some of them out. I still have an open invitation for members passing through the southwest. If you're coming through, drop me a line and lets see if we can hang some fur. I get such a blast watching others succeed.

I hope that you can take a good hard look at what you want to get out of this sport. I hope that Predator Hunting 101 will help.

If you have questions or comments about this topic, please feel free to post it here.

Mo

what would you consider a "as cheap as it can be" starter set?
caliber, calls,.. etc?
currently i have a 223 ar, bolt 22-250 and bolt 6.5 CM. i have equipment to reload but i haven't started yet, but that is on the list.

Bernard,

Welcome to the insanity that is predator hunting. I welcome you to our community.

You off to a great start with those calibers. All of them are proven coyote killers. The first thing I ask new hunters is why are you hunting coyotes…fur or population control. In fur hunting you need to carefully select a caliber and bullet that are going to knock the coyote down without too much fur damage. For population control…you want a bang flop, DRT (dead right there) caliber. Coyotes are tough for their size. Many coyote hunter, myself included, have put what appeared to be a good hit on a coyote only to have them jump and run.

I used a 16in, bull barrel AR-15 for many years. My go to bullets are the 55gr vmax and 62gr soft point. The AR is a handy rifle that is easily modified and outfitted for predator hunting. But the biggest rule for the gun is that you have to be comfortable and competent with it. You need to spend as much time as you can at the range practicing.

For callers, I am a big fan of FoxPro although Eco Tech makes good calls as does Lucky Duck. The FoxPro Patriot is a good starter caller usually under $150. I am a fan of buy once cry once. My personal favorite is the XS24 but it’s going to hit your wallet. The FoxPro Inferno is also a good entry level unit, similar to the Patriot, but with a different remote and capabilities. I don’t think you go wrong with either.

I hunt on a stool, with either shooting sticks or a tripod. I like the Primos standing telescoping bipod. A nice dove stool might hit you for $20. Then some dark camo, like Real Tree AP HD of Real Tree green since you’ll be sitting in front of something to break up your outline. Mask, gloves, boogie hat, comfy boots.

Now you just got to find them.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoBernard,

I am a fan of buy once cry once.

same here

pop control
they're growing in pop, and starting to get the deer fawns

That being the case I have to say that the XS24 is by far my favorite and killingest caller that I've had. The volume is impressive and the call clarity is spectacular. I used a CS24 for years and I almost cried when it died. But the body count on my XS24 dried those tears right up.

I made the mistake of pinching pennies when I got started and I went through a variety of ecallers. I had a Johnny Stewart PM1 but the cord git coyotes too close. So I experimented with several wireless callers...all of which left much to be desired. So I went back to the PM1 and used it for years. When I finally saved my lunch money I bought a FoxPro Scorpion that I used for 13 years. When it died I upgraded to a Crossfire which met it's demise to a friendly fire incident. I now run a Fusion for bobcats and foxes and the XS24 for coyotes.

In fact these days I have dedicated sets of gear when I switch to foxes/bobcats vs coyotes.

Quote:If you think that there is a magic, golden ticket that is going to launch you into predator hunting glory, you are in for a rude awakening. Predator hunting is hard. Coyotes are smart, bobcats are scarce. And because of sharply produced videos the sport is growing exponentially. Predators are unforgiving. There is a steep learning curve. There is no magic call, gun, camo, scent control, decoy. It is a LOT of hard work. It is stand after blank stand, missing the easy shots, calling in nothing but tumble weeds or other hunters.

35112055543_0e34c7f7ea_o.jpg

Anything worth doing requires one to "pay the dues". Witnessed this exact same issue with new competitive rifle shooters who expected to step into a new arena and perform on a level with the "old timers". It just doesn't happen, so hang in there and welcome to one of the most challenging/rewarding sports I know of. There is a learning curve to any skill and PM provides a real shortcut in that curve.

I've hunted deer all my life, during season, shot a few coyotes that wandered by, presenting targets of opportunity, but was primarily a dedicated HP rifle competitor during the rest of the year(s). When arthritis ended competition, took up coyote hunting, which quickly became addictive! Wasn't long until I only shot a deer when the freezer was MT and spent every spare moment predator hunting. No matter how long one has hunted predators, there's always something to learn and no better place than PM to do so.

Regards,
hm

I remember putting out what we called Ghetto blasters with a cassette tape, first 30 seconds was blank, giving you time to get back to your spot after you turned it on. LOL

Now everyone has a Foxpro or such, so many more hunters now. Wish I had a dollar for every-time Lightning Jack was played!

When I first got into calling, a friend who was a very skilled caller took me out & the education commenced. We had a friggin' BLAST. I'd done a lot of hunting over the years but not this kind.

I had a Colt AR in 223 but didn't have a hunting load for it. I had a very accurate handload using 68 gr match bullets that wouldn't work well on animals.

So I just grabbed my bolt action 30-06 & started shooting yotes
wink.gif

Don't be afraid to use what you have to get started.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiWish I had a dollar for every-time Lightning Jack was played!

YES!!!! That should be called "new coyote hunter blank stand distress..."

Back