Nice Bobcat tonight

1trkyhntr

1st stand tonight I started with a bird distress, then switched to Eastern Cottontail. At about 8 minutes this nice male came in at my 9 o'clock. He sat down and looked in our direction so I switched to Vole Squeaks. He got up and came in a few more yards and sat down again, about 70 yds. We counted down and double tapped him, DRT.
Next stand we saw a coyote mousing in a cut bean field at about 400 yds. We moved in to about 300 yds from him but we were in the wide open with no backdrop so we were afraid to try to get any closer. I tried a few different soft distress sounds but it was eating something and was not interested. It finally started towards us a little but I saw it catch a rat and I watched it lay down and eat it. We fooled with it for 45 minutes and I just could not get it to respond to anything. It finally left the field. We have killed 2 coyotes in this field this year so this one was probably educated.
Next stand we went to a field that is literally in the back yard of a house with a security light that illuminates a good part of the field. The landowner has a fox, bobcat, and just last night a coyote on his camera. We set up in the back yard behind a tractor and started with Nutty Nuthatch. A coyote cut me off in front of us down in the woods. I howled and went silent. Within a few minutes it popped out way over to my right at about 225 yds at the wood line, took one look in our direction, then turned and went back into the woods. I don't know what spooked him. I wish now that I had a soft distress playing but hind site is 20-20. If I had a do over I would have tried him at the wood line but I expected him to come in closer. All in all it was a fun night.
8z5RPHQ.jpg

Back