Mountain Lion Kill Sites & Scat

I went out scouting in a new canyon here in northern AZ and was lucky enough to find some pretty cool (and promising) mountain lion signs and wanted to share them for anyone getting into lion hunting so to know what to look for while out hunting or scouting for lions. While working down the bottom of this canyon I found a couple hip and leg bones then later a skull from what seemed to be a nice mature pronghorn that was killed by a lion and dragged down into this canyon. Less than a quarter mile from there I came across the leg of a deer before finding the spine and hip that remained from where this lion had drug the deer under a juniper tree and devoured it. They prefer to have cover and privacy whenever returning to eat their kill. Just about 20 feet from the remains of the deer carcass I noticed a disturbance in the dirt and pine needles where just like a house cat in a litter box a lion had scraped up surrounding dirt and pine needles to cover his scat which was mostly clumps of deer hair. This scat area was also under a juniper tree as most cats like a little privacy and cover when doing their business. I hope these photos and descriptions help others be able to identify lion activity in their hunting areas. Good luck out there!

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1067.jpeg
    IMG_1067.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 64
Notice the clump of deer hair sitting at the top of the pine needle covered scat & the marks left in the dirt where the cat used it paws to rake up surrounding dirt and leaves to cover its droppings.

Attachments

• IMG_1074.jpeg
    IMG_1074.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 44
I have a stupid question. Do bobcat do these same things? I very occasionally see sites like these but we "don't have lions here."

Bobcats will do it more often. A lion will kill and bury the whole carcass, bobcats, coyotes and birds will dismember that carcass, and the bobcat will cover the smaller pieces.
More often than not a lion will not get a second meal off the original kill.

Back