Man dies while hunting...

GC

https://www.wilx.com/2023/10/27/man-dies...-officials-say/

This happened in Kentucky, however, it has happened all over the place on occasion. I personally know a guy who accidentally slashed himself in the arm while field dressing a deer and had to be transported by helicopter to an ER and nearly died from the event.

I hunt deep in the Ozarks with big blocks of public ground timber. Be it squirrel, turkey, predator calling or deer hunting with bow or gun I often hunt alone. I recently retired so in order to have the woods completely to myself I often hunt during the week. There is no cell reception and very very little human traffic. I seldom park on a well traveled road, usually, it is miles off down a logging road somewhere. Whatever happens while I'm out I have to be prepared to deal with it myself. There won't be a 9-1-1 call to save me. I started carrying a tourniquet and large pressure bandage in my hunting kit years ago. All my vehicles are outfitted also. The recent thread about what you carry in your backpack spurred this post because not one person who responded had any real way of dealing with a serious cut, stab, or gunshot wound. A good tourniquet and Israeli pressure bandage is cheap insurance, lightweight, doesn't take much space in a pack, and offers you a fighting chance to see your loved ones again should something bad happen. Who knows, you may be able to save someone else's life if you have the gear and knowledge to use it. Do as you want, but please give it some thought.

Originally Posted By: crapshootQuick clot is also another valuable piece of kit.

Sometimes. Quick Clot can do a lot of tissue damage. It comes with a price later down the line. Not saying it doesn't have its uses, but be careful with it.

Even if you are showing no cell coverage, dial 911 immediately. In some areas it will go thru, and they will start a location on your phone. Don't even need to talk, put phone down on speaker while you work on the wound, or injured.

Solo and backcountry hunters should consider a Garmin inReach Mini 2 or a Zoleo satellite communicator for $200-$400.

53296799593_5109916ee7_c.jpg

I spend 40 yrs hunting, trapping, and fishing alone before I had my first cell phone. It has stayed in the truck the last 20yrs if I remember to take it. I text my wife in the evenings, if I have service and I remembered to charge it. When I leave on trips she generally knows where I'm headed at least what states and approximately the nearest city. My thoughts are if you plan for an accident you won't be as cautious because you have a back up.

Back