Do you cary a sidearm also?

Really. May be right about recoil spring?? Coincidentally I noticed David is shooting a Kimber and that's what I have. I was really expecting feeding problems, but the few I have shot were slick as glass.

Just single feed in my XDm 40 too. Just have one in the chamber and 165gr in the rest of the mag. I figure shot in a 22 is just for rats, they aren't too nasty. Daughter carries a Judge (and executioner). Her MIL got a pretty good sized copperhead a couple months ago.

Mine are all Colts. Kimber may be a bit different on the feed ramps or recoil springs. I very seldom carry one of them in the field or on our land anyway. I have a short barreled 22WMR revolver that I carry when working on the mower or other stuff outside. Shotshells out of it are much better than a 22LR.

This is a very interesting subject to me. We have rattlers in places, nothing the size of those though! I'd want buckshot lol!

My old hunting buddies favorite october pastime was rattler hunting. He took me on a day that was too windy for calling and we got into a few. He had them mostly thinned out from several years of working that spot. His tools of choice were a machete and a five gallon bucket. I should post a video, he'd hold the bucket close and get them to strike it then whack them before they coiled back up. Always cut the head off and made a hole in the ground with the end of the machete and stuffed the head in that hole, then picked up the body and put it in the bucket for disposal so he didn't have dead snakes all over to notice as he kept hunting. He said the head could still bite for awhile after being dead.

Now on to the shotshells. The cci 45's also function my 3" kimber, as do my homemade copies. I used 308 brass cut the correct length, resize with a 45 die then a 40 cal die to make the neck then use cardboard wads to separate the powder and shot and a plastic over shot wad and crimp with a 38 die somehow iirc. It's been awhile but it was a fun project. At the end of the day with all that work the cci's are probably worth what they get for them. Only shot a couple snakes with them but they did the trick. More fun was aerial shooting with it, set an empty water bottle on top of a full bottle. Load your mag with a hp on top of a shotshell, shoot the bottom bottle to launch the empty bottle then shoot that one in the air.

I don't carry snake loads. I just give the rascally rattlers a hollowpoint to the head from whatever pistol I happen to be packing.

Cut them up in 2" long pieces and soak in a bit of salt brine, flour them and cook just like you do fried chicken. Not much meat but it is good.

I have head shot several snakes with my Kimber 45 and 230 gr. Hydroshocks. Can be done, but expensive and requires a good aim whereas the CCI loads just make it easier.
Me, too, David. The Kimber is a tack driver, but I like the insurance that the shot gives you, especially w/the combination of short barrel, poor sights and .38 caliber Mod 60 that I do carry. Besides I rarely carry the 1911 hunting.

I carry a S&W Shield Plus in 9mm for concealed carry.

I carry a Taurus TX22 when hog hunting to finish off those that lay there and kick too long. Way cheaper.

If a hog is wounded and runs at night I’ll look for it the next morning or wait for buzzards. I only follow if I’m sure of my shot.
For snakes I carry a Ruger Wrangler. For a cheaper revolver, that gun shoots as true as anything else I have. I have no problem killing snakes with one shot at 10ft easily. I also use it as my dispatch gun on the trap line as well.

Back