BCA is taking pre-orders for 6mm ARC

I saw that. 6mm ARC sounds interesting. I'm not sure I NEED another caliber. Especially with how the ammo Market is. I reload, but components are spotty. BCA's twist rate is 1-8. Hornady recommends 1-7.5. I wonder about that.

Hornady reccommends 1:7.5 because of the loong Match bullets the caliber was designed for. IF you want to MAKE this caliber work for hunting in general and Coyotes, because it's compatible with AR-15 platform, then the 1:8 actually is a better fit ( still over twisted for any 6mm hunting bullet made). Most .243's have a 1:9.25 twist and are capable of shooting 100gr bullets beautifully.
I have a 1:8 BCA .243 AR-10 and it shoots 58-87 vmaxs as well as 100gr factory deer ammo in itty bitty groups. I have no idea how it shoots anything heavier.

Biggest dillemma with 6mm arc is the long throat for the long heavy bullets. Lotta jump if using shorter regular bullets. Can only load bullets so long and keep neck tension.
My guess is that a 6mm ARC will shoot best with the longer varmint bullets for coyotes, but will be slow with anything above the 55-58 grn bullets.

Just a mismatch of a caliber for coyotes IMHO. Would be better off with an AR-10 .243 and never have to worry about the when the 6mm ARC trend dies off.

1:7 or 1:7.5 twist will do just fine with 58vmax and such. This has been covered many times in several 6mm arc groups. I actually run a 1:7.5 twist proof research barrel and only shoot 58vmax and 87gr vmax. No problems at all. If you check out rifle builder SGT of Arms he actually goes over all of this as well.

COOL! I've had good results with BCA barrels, for the money they hare hard to beat IMO. I love my 6mm ARC. I currently run 87gr VMAX's out of a 20" Faxon match barrel and stack them on top of each other. I did not have any luck trying to group 58 grainers, best I did was about 2.5 MOA. I think the 7.5 twist is a little too tight for them. 1:8 might do the trick.

bought from bca one the and found this in the barrel. will never buy from them again
20231002_192905.jpg
20231002_192921.jpg

I have been pondering the 6 ARC.
Not sure if I want an AR in a 6mm or a bolt in 6 Creedmoore
Love my 6ARC, it's been a fun rifle, especially when I set up on a dog town, I've basically retired my .243 because of it. To get the most out of it, however, you need to hand load. 6CM does noting the .243 doesn't, they're both super fast, flat shooting rounds that are also hard on barrels. On the Factory ammo side, .243 has better variety and wider availability. Depending on your priorities, can't go wrong either way. My two cents.

My 6mm ARC shoots like a dream and is very accurate!
Factory 108gr. ELD-M shoots under a 1" @ 200 yds.

I killed this 8pt @ 277 yds opening weekend this year. Deer dropped at the shot, broke both shoulders found the bullet just under the hide of opposite shoulder.

Built mine using the following;
Radian 16" builders kit.
Proof 18' Carbon Fiber wrapped 7.5" barrel and has been head spaced for the JP bolt.
JP Silent Capture System
JP Operating System
JP EnhancedBolt Assembly Completion Group
Triggertech Diamond AR Flat trigger
Geissele Mil-Spec buffer tube
SLR Sentry 7 gas block
Radian Ultrlight QD Endplate
Suppessed Armament System 6.5mm TOMB muzzle brake. 4150 Black Nitride finish.
Magpul Stocks and Grip
E-Lander mags.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last year at 320 yds.

IMG_1757.jpg

I already have two of their 243 uppers that collect dust in my safe that both will shoot a third of an inch group or better at 100 yards with 55 and 60 grain projectiles. I have several ARS but I still always go to a bolt action when predator hunting it's a lot less awkward and bulky. I'd rather take the extra 2 lb in the AR and have another 20 grains a case capacity to shoot way flatter. 243 casings are a dime a dozen and are everywhere so I don't have to go searching for brass either. Kind of done with buying 50 million calibers all usung the same projectile pushing it up and down 200 to 400 per second faster or slower. If I decide I want to shoot a slower velocity like an arc I'll just download. To me the twist rate is all Bs if you hand load or unless you're a bench rest shooter which an AR and specially a BCA is never going to shoot that good to begin with to worry about what twist rate you have in it. My fast twist rates are not supposed to shoot 55 and 60 grain bullets in my 243 and I can shoot groups that they all touch at 100 yards that's good enough for me for a cheap upper. My POF will shoot tighter groups at 300 yards then my BCAs do at 100. I think I might buy a 358 Winchester Barrel for one of the 243s and have fun and swap it out. The darn Barrel by itself cost almost as much as what I paid for an upper.lol. too bad Bear Creek Arsenal won't make a 358 win with all the Iowa Hunters I think it would sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:
Back