6.5 Creedmoor help

Shooter222

Custom Call Maker
Gun is a 80% Lower with 18” side charge BCA 6.5 Creedmoor upper.
It functioned flawlessly when built. Have used it for 2 years.

I recently got my approval for my silencer.
It is a Oniel Ops VAPR 6.5
Which brings up my issue that I’m asking for help with .

The gun still runs fine but it’s cycling back so hard now that the side charge handle is now hitting slot in upper and breaking the threads off of the cap screw that holds it to BCG.
I’m sure there is many ways to go about fixing this. But someone here has to have experienced over gas from adding a suppressor.

What is the best way to go about fixing this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks In advance,
Ryan

Last edited:
You will need a good adjustable gas block(if it doesn't have one), or adjust the gas block differently running suppressed/ without suppressor. You also may need a high pressure bolt, especially for heavier bullets.

Thanks Spotstalkshoot,
This gun shoots hornady 129 Interlock bullets extremely well. So that’s what been using. It hammers coyotes but not fur friendly.

I can do the gas block, any recommendations on a “good” one ?
Would a aeroprecision adjustable low profile gas block qualify? Or should I look around more?

what does a high pressure bolt do? If I may ask. I did a quick search and couldn’t find any explanations .

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
PSA makes a nice click adjustable gas block for about $60 that takes off the extra gas caused by the suppressor. Should take care of the extra gas easily.

Thanks Spotstalkshoot,
This gun shoots hornady 129 Interlock bullets extremely well. So that’s what been using. It hammers coyotes but not fur friendly.

I can do the gas block, any recommendations on a “good” one ?
Would a aeroprecision adjustable low profile gas block qualify? Or should I look around more?

what does a high pressure bolt do? If I may ask. I did a quick search and couldn’t find any explanations .

Thanks for your time
Look at the JP rifles site, it explains why/what is needed when running 6.5/308 platforms. You definitely need an adjustable gb, first. Than you can address brass life details.

Plus 2" systems really help with gas problems, brass longevity and blow back.

You can't do anything about it now but moving forward everyone should consider a longer gas system in AR10s.

The high pressure bolts are to keep the firing pin from piercing the primer in hotter loads, it has a smaller orifice for the firing pin to go through is the only difference to my understanding. It does zero for harsh cycles and gas regulation.

primary has the strike industries collar adjustable's on sale right now

hth

Tubbs Spring

One of these will help you also. In addition to the adj gas block

You will likely end up with a rifle that is tuned for 1 load only. A specialty rifle!

I also think the rifle buffer tube, and rifle buffer is the way to go.

The slower burning powders that the CM cartridge uses will make your set up problematic.

Don't expect adjustable gas blocks to last forever. Your rifle will eat them up every so often. Its a pretty hostile environment for any adjustable mechanism.

Update:

I bought a Odin works adjustable gas block. But now my hard guard doesn’t fit , so ordered a new Odin works lightweight one. Haven’t shot it yet. Hand guard is due mid next week.

Tubbs Spring

One of these will help you also. In addition to the adj gas block

You will likely end up with a rifle that is tuned for 1 load only. A specialty rifle!

I also think the rifle buffer tube, and rifle buffer is the way to go.

The slower burning powders that the CM cartridge uses will make your set up problematic.

Don't expect adjustable gas blocks to last forever. Your rifle will eat them up every so often. Its a pretty hostile environment for any adjustable mechanism.

That is a very interesting video. I will be ordering a spring to try.

Back