.243 Lightweight AR builds .

isu22yote

Anyone build a .243 AR in here light weight enough for coyote hunting ? Want something to run the thermal and can on . Dont want to go broke building it either . Am I chasing a unicorn here ? Any thoughts and ideas ?

Search gb for a G2 DPMS. I run a pair of them in 243 for day and night. Slightly bigger than an ar15 but way smaller than a full size. 243's are out there but hard to find.

At some point I look for Ruger to release the sfar in 243 or one or more of the creedmoors. That rifle is actually ar15 size.

Originally Posted By: isu22yoteOriginally Posted By: TXCOONDOG It would be sweet if Ruger did release the SFAR in .243.

It's not cheap to build a true lightweight AR as I looked into it.

Here's the thread:

https://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo...248#Post3320248

Did you end up building these configurations or not ? Saw this but watned to make sure everything meshed.

The last post in the thread is what I built. I've since ran 200 plus firings with my handloads with under moa results.

Here's the thread about my reloads:

https://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo...1586&page=2

I’m right around 7lbs with can, 16oz bcg. Runs great and use it primarily for coyote hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_2939.jpeg
    IMG_2939.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 113
It would be pricey but, you could do Roam upper and lower magnesium set, carbon barrel, lancer or smoked composites handguard, JP enterprises low mass bcg and whatever carbon or minimalist stock.

Do all that and spend all that just to walk a couple hundred yards at most to put it on a tripod? But it can be done.

The 2 in the left are both BCA uppers. The one in the middle is the 20” SOCOM barreled version. It’s light enough to hunt with for me. Both in Aero M5 lowers with CMC 2.5 pound single stage triggers. I still use my bolt guns over them for predator hunting. Both BCA 243 uppers will shoot .3” with 55 and 60 grain projectiles at 100 yards. You can get an upper for around $300. The POF has killed quite a bit of yotes though.

the 20” lighter version shoots 60 grain Seirra’s tighter than the 55 grain Noslers. Here’s a 100 yard ladder test. Pretty decent for a cheap upper…

The heavy log 22” stainless 243 upper shoots 55 grain noslers better smoking around 4,000 fps…

I always wanted to build a 243 AR until Bear Creek started making 243 caliber “dirt cheap” uppers. Bought the M5 complete lowers minus a buttstock for $200 on black friday a few seasons ago. Little over $500 in each minus the $130 triggers, mags, optic, and rings.

IMO your going to spend a couple grand or more to shave off a pound vs my 20” version and probably not going to get any better accuracy.

Last edited:
You could go the pricey receiver route and use a AR10 Magnesium receiver set. ROAM makes a set that is half weight of aluminum. The BCG is a lot of weight and you can go with super pricey titanium versions.

Not to hyjack this,but as we speak. I built a PSA ar10 kit in 308. Ive had it 1.5 yrs and never fired it. now i am thinking i am gonna swap out barrel and make it a 243.
its 18in, i belive thats all need to change. Who make a decant 18in 243 barrel?

Not to hyjack this,but as we speak. I built a PSA ar10 kit in 308. Ive had it 1.5 yrs and never fired it. now i am thinking i am gonna swap out barrel and make it a 243.
its 18in, i belive thats all need to change. Who make a decant 18in 243 barrel?
My buddy built one through Bear Creek. He dialed it in at my range and I was shocked at the groups he got at 100 yards considering he's got under $700 into it. Not sure how much it weighs. I think 7-8lbs is pretty light in an AR10. My 6.5CM with can and thermal is right at 13.5#s. It's more than I'd prefer for a night hunting set-up, but with a slogan outdoors sling, it's never really bothered me.

Last edited:
I never tried to fine-tune the loads that shot the best by adjusting the overall length longer and shorter in .005” increments. One of these days I’ll get around to it to see if I can even tighten up the best shooting loads. If I remember right because they were both so short of Boolits that I just loaded them to what I “felt” was OAL but I can get away with and still have neck tension.

It says the op hasn’t been here since 2021. lol. But then it says this was posted November 1 of 2023 and he hasn’t been back since. So it looks like he posted it and never came back to check.

Back