204 ruger

Harrisoncat

Hello, I’m interested in a 204 ruger to use solely for bobcat hunting. I need an adjustable gas block and 18” barrel we should I begin my search? Thanks

Call X-caliber barrels. They will guide you through the selection process. Their small calibers are hand chambered, not machine cut. At least when they did mine. They will not recommend an 18 inch barrel as you will lose the ballistic advantage of the 204 Ruger. I can't remember what they told me, either 20" or 22" minimum for best ballistics. They make one hell of a barrel.

Just be aware not all mags will run well with 204 ammo. That's why I put together a 20p upper, all the different mags I already had function perfectly. My BHW barrel is a 22" lightweight, 1/10" twist. Fine for a short .223 suppressor. If I was using a 9" 30 cal suppressor, probably would have went shorter 20"??

I use metal mags for my 204, can’t remember what brand but have no problems. I give them a shot of fluorescent orange so I don’t swap them with my pmags at night

Standard metal mags work for 204.

I had one and used a Black Hole Weaponry barrel, 22”, standard profile.

If I got another I wouldn’t go shorter than 22” for my preferences.

White Oak Armament makes barrels in 204 but I don’t think they have an 18” option. Wilson Combat may have 204 in 18” but can’t recall for sure right off.

Another vote for X- Caliber and White oak Armament make great 204 barrels. Lancer magazines work great for 204. Superlative arms for adjustable gas blocks.

I’ve never built an AR15 with a rifle length gas tube, will I still need a adjustable gas block? I know with my 10.5” and 16” I did need to mess with the gas block but they were short gas tubes. Thanks

Back